General or local anesthetic advice needed

Hi there, I’m 47 and have always had clear smear tests. My latest however showed severe high-grade cell changes and HPV. I had my colposcopy last week and was told it is CIN3 and I need a Lletz, you could see from the picture my cervix is heavily covered with these cells. The Dr has suggested I go under general anesthetic which is worrying me. He said it was up to me. Has anyone else been offered general? What did you do? I’m worried because everything I read says it will be done under a local anesthetic. Could it be because of how much of my cervix is covered? Many thanks in advance for any advice xx

Hi! Ive just had LLETZ done under general - in my case, it was because it was a larger area than they could do in one sitting of local. I have also had it done once before under local - both were fine but honestly, I preferred being under general as you don’t have to experience it all and it’s a reasonably light general anaesthetic plus a quick procedure. Recovery has been easier with general too, though i wonder if it’s partly psychological as I wasn’t aware what had happened during the treatment? Everybody’s different but if you think you’d prefer to be out of it while you’re being treated, go for it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for replying. I’ve opted for general as he suggested. I think it’s because there is quite a lot to remove. It’s reassuring to hear your experience was better under general. How are you feeling now? Hope you are ok x

That’s good - I really hope all goes smoothly for you, as I’m sure it will! I have honestly been fine, thanks for asking. Not had any bleeding and barely any pain. I’m prepared for that to change but hoping it won’t!

1 Like