Follow up for CIN3 and HPV

Hi

I had my colposcopy and lletz 4 weeks ago today, after being told the results would be 3 weeks I have been ringing and today had the letter read out to me over the phone it basically says I have CIN3 and HPV and need a repeat smear in 6 months. I have not had the lab report so have asked to speak to my GP when they get them. I was wondering though what is the follow up procedure other than a smear? Will I need another colposcopy as I have HPV?

I am feeling really tearful again, i found the whole the thing really distressing as i had other gynae problems at the time and was told not to worry but I am the kind of person who needs to know everything (I am a scientist) and was left really confused as I had a panic attack on the way to lletz as I knew they would do the procedure as I had severe dyskarosis, but forgot to ask and was only told to expect bleeding, they were rewriting the patient information leaflet and so this was all I was told and to avoid sex for 4 weeks.

Thanks

Becka

I think the standard follow up is a smear test at 6 months and they should test again for HPV too. If that test still shows HPV then I think you will need another colposcopy. Good luck with it all. I know it's not a nice thing to go through (I also had lletz for CIN3 earlier this year and will have my follow up smear in December)