First smear at 38 - sent for colposcopy

Hi Rach,

I’ve never heard of hsv-2, what does it that mean?

Hi Sam

It’s the herpes virus ! Once you get the herpes virus it lives in your nerve endings and can’t be cured !

I only have an outbreak now and again but I am being told it’s not great having both ! I have read some stuff online but it’s not very helpful.

Anyway I will just have to wait my appointment for the colposcopy is the 30th or this month

Basically cold sores !

Ohhhh, not fun for you! Let me know how the colposcopy goes, and don’t worry about it in the meantime - you can deal with it when the 30th rolls around.

Hi Sam

We spoke few weeks ago ! I had my colposcopy on the 30th and they said I need to go back for a LLETZ which I said yesterday.

She removed the abnormal cells and said I will get the results in 4 weeks and probably have smears every 6 months .

What are results I am waiting for in four weeks ? To tell me if nothing or precancerous? Just a bit confused?

Regards Rachael

Hi Rachel,

She obviously doesn’t think it’s cancerous (great news) as she would have said it was a possibility there and then! The results would be all clear I would imagine?

Glad you are coming out with a positive outcome!

@Rach300 I also had my colcposcopy and lettz on Monday following severe cell changes and hpv found in my first smear in 9 years. From smear to colposcopy was 3 weeks and was told 4-6 weeks for results to come in. My colcposcopy was done under guidance by a trainee ans it wasn’t great, there was lots of whispering an do felt extremely uneasy, she left without saying a word then the actual colcosoopist told me it was all done and I would receive a letter within 4-6 weeks.

I am in no way an expert but this is my take on it. When they take away the cells they are then tested to see what grade they are and will then write to you informing you and telling you that they’re cin1, 2or 3 and if they got clear margins which means that there’s healthy tissue around where they took the cells from. If it’s more serious they will discuss your case within a team and decide on the best course of action and go from there.
I hope you are recovering well and that your results will be fine-the data and success stories are a real boost to read if you’re feeling anxious about it. Hearing other people’s experience if the letz made me far more prepared for the procedure xxx

@SamG I asked in my appointment and they said they’d not tell if they suspected cancer incase they were wrong but that the cells would be studied and I’d be informed. However I have read if others like you who were told there and then which was why I asked as the waiting around is horrid. Sam I hope you’re doing as OK as you can be, that the treatment is going well and that you have support around you xxx

Thanks Sam

How are you getting on with your treatment ? Xxx

I’ve just had chemo no 4 out of 5, and I have 7 external radiations left. It’s been relatively smooth sailing for me so far compared to the journey of others.
My bloods have been good every week and my oncologist says I’m her star :joy:
Side effects have mostly been hitting me at the weekend after the steroids wear off - tiredness and chaos with my digestive system but other than that I’m doing ok.
Going on HRT as soon as possible as the menopause has hit.
The next step is the big one for me - brachytherapy. Have to admit it’s scary.

My word Sam you seem so positive your smashing it :fist_right:. Brachytherapy is radiation I think :thinking:. Well I have a friend who’s had that and sailed through it ! But everyone reacts completely different I suppose .

Mmm HRT I am already on it at 42 :woman_facepalming:. I have the worst night sweats I could going swimming in the night there that bad . I got to the point I just broke down in my doctors office and said this is just horrific and I don’t know how women handle it ! .

I have a few friends going through it, they are trying the gel but I think I’ll go for the patches.
I haven’t experienced the night sweats yet, they sound a joy! :laughing:
I am 38 so not far behind you, the risk of dementia is high for us because of our early age so keep on HRT!
Good to hear some positivity about brachytherapy, I am just hoping for no needles :grimacing:

Hi Sam

How was the Brachytherapy? Was it as bad as you thought it would be :cry:. Hope you are ok :+1:.

Bit disappointed still not had my results back from my Lettz procedure and it was on the 13th September! Thought I would have the results by now :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging: I would just like to know what they found if anything .

They said until my results are back they don’t know if I am staying under the hospital or GP🤷‍♀️.

Hi Rach,

If they had found cancer I’m pretty sure you would know by now, I got told within a week of my lletz. No news is good news!
Brachytherapy was ok in the end, a strange experience to have to lay flat for over 24 hours but mostly painless except the epidural. I found that to be the hardest part.

Oh bless ya I have had an epidural I did not like it . And I think you are completely right I would of hard by now .

I have so many different health problems at the moment ! It would just be nice to tick one off the list :woman_facepalming:. I am having another epidural in November it’s a day case for spinal surgery I have already on my back ! I have to have injections in my spine.

I am glad it was not as bad as you was expecting it to be ! Still rough what your going through