Smear results/Colposcopy

Hi everyone,

I wouldn’t normally post on an open forum but Jo’s trust has really helped me through a difficult time. At 32, a mixture of being “busy” and ignoring letters to attend smears I was essentially pushed into having one 6 weeks ago (thankfully) from a nurse after my contraceptive injection. After a week I was called back by the nurse to say that I had abnormal cells and was being referred to have a colposcopy. After all this time of not going the two weeks leading up to this were horrible finally facing up to things.

The colposcopy, although not a pleasant experience, was ok and my gynaecologist and nurse were so lovely during the appointment. Treatment was done there and then (LLETZ) which I wasn’t expecting but he just got on with it. I didn’t experience any pain as the area was numbed.

He told me there and then I had CIN3 and a sample was being sent off for review which he would mark as urgent. I’ve just got my results through (10 days later) after calling and the nurse explained I had a small amount (1mm) of cancerous cells which were removed during my previous treatment. I don’t need any further treatment but I do need to go back every three months for the next year to check everything’s ok.

As I said I wouldn’t normally post in such a public way but I just wanted to say thank you to Jo’s Trust for the information provided on the forum/website. I was silly for so long not going and have now given myself a hugely hard time for this. I just wanted to send lots of love to anyone who’s going through a difficult time and to thank you for the information.

Jen xxxxx

Did you have any symptoms I’ve been ongoing uti pelvis pain pain on sides blood test all fine by smear test have HPV positive and some abnormal changes I broke down thinking I have cancer any advice is great