Finished treatment now what??? Lost

Hi ladies,

So I have finally finished treatment last week. My treatment finished with 4 brachytherapy sessions over 10 days. 

I had the high dose brachytherapy so I was put under GA for the insertion of rods which took appx an hour then was awake for a CT scan, the actual treatment which took appx 10 minutes and the removal of rods which took about 2 minutes and oh boy that was by far the worst part! I was super sore afterwards and doing wee wee was a challenge but it’s been 5 days and I only have mild cramps and sore lower back.

As it’s common practice I had an MRI after 25 radios/5cisplatin and before the brachytherapy started. My oncologist said that there was a 90% tumor reduction from the external beam. This is good news, I know. But should there be nothing left? I know I still had brachytherapy to go...he is also requesting a pet scan in 6 weeks which in Australia doesn’t seem uncommon even though I hear most of you having a 90 folow up after end of treatment?

Also now that treatment ended I feel really lost like WTH was life all about before all this? And then running through the one million what ifs in my head! 

I am planning a two week seaside holiday, do some yoga and try and park this cancer crap for a bit. Try and find the person I was before all this shit!

Feeling exhausted... mind, body and soul!

Sending positive thoughts to anyone about to get on this roller coaster!!

Stage 2B - Squamous cell cc

25 radios/5 cisplatin/4 brachytherapy done and dusted!

Hi Bunny

Im glad you have finished your treatment and your holiday sounds a lovely idea. I finished 6 weeks ago and was told the tumour had shown response but not by how much - I think that 90% sounds amazing!!!! I was told treatment continues to work for 3 months so sounds liks yours doesn't stand a chance :)

My first check up is this week then scan 3 months post treatment in the Uk and agree You feel really in limbo once trearment has finished, your holiday and relaxation is just perfect during this wait and hope it makes you feel better in yourself.

Have a lovely time xx

The radiation keeps working for a long time. I still had 3.5cm tumour prior to brachy and 4 months later it was all gone. Some people even wait another 3 months after that to see results. Try and spend the seemingly long wait to scans on recovering and building up your strength. Take care xx

I’m 4 months post treatment. Had first scan yesterday. 

It took me 6 weeks after treatment to start feeling physically better. So don’t rush and take it easy. 

I really struggled mentally so I had counselling. I felt lost and wasn’t sure what life is supposed to be. I’m still of work but attending courses through Maggie’s centre etc to keep occupied. A holiday sounds lovely to take time away and recover. 

it is a strange time after treatment. 

Thanks ladies for reading ladies. I hv also started counselling through the hospital once a week. So tough some days.

The bloody tumor was just under 1cm before brachytheraphy I do hope it disappears asap! But I think the next 2 yrs will be up and down. And also during my treatment time I was sent for a hearing test and there was some loss due to cisplatin and I hv a follow up in a month. And there was high activity shown at my colon so did a colonoscopy and all came bk clear!

These bloody scans can drive u mad sometimes I tell u! And I still dont get why my pre treatment CT scan says 3cm tumor and MRI says 5cm. Arghhh

WW good luck with your check up this week. Fingers crossed for u.

Bexter I am heading to Byron for a few days of chilax. Where u having surgery in OCT? How r u doing?

Carter how did ur check up go?

And I am sure the next topic will be the dreaded dilators! Just the thought of if... But I am 37 and really wanna resume to some sex life with my partner who has had no loving in months! 

What a s**t show this disease is!

But positive thoughts, we will get through this ONE day and ONE dilator at the time lol xo

I also have had to have counselling. It has helped tremendously but I’m struggling a little at the moment as I’ve had to wear compression stockings for mild lymphodema post surgery, my bladder has prolapsed and I currently have a beast of a UTI because my bladder isn’t emptying properly.

A sh!t show is certainly how I’d describe this past year!

A holiday in Bryon sounds lovely, I’m in Qld x

Hi Bunny, I was trying to send you a message but it keeps telling me to contact site admin :-/ 

Anyhow...feeling much the same way. Finished on 10/5, but then had an insane bladder infection that kept me housebound another 2 weeks, ugh. Was hoping to go back to work this week but now I have a cold and lost my voice! I do desperately need to get back to something from pre-all of this life, because you’re right it is a strange situation when treatment is done. I’m only beginning to really process everything, grateful that it seems to have gone well but also sadness about all the changes and those things still to be dealt with (feel you on the dialators). Also this weird pressure to stop my bad habits-sweets, not exercising, etc. etc. Still pretty tired but hoping to get some routine back ASAP.  Oh-also when I was finished with everything my report said “no evidence of gross disease”, with gross meaning visible. My first follow up is 11/8, and I’m hoping I’ll get a pet scan, because the whole “outback” chemotherapy has been floated as an option. My main raidio doc doesn’t think it’s necessary as I didn’t have significant lymph node activity-but I think my oncologist wants more evidence before she makes a recommendation-although previously she had said she wasn’t necessarily pushing for it so idk. I’m not doing it unless they absolutely convince me. I’ve had enough! 

Thanks for your update :-)

Hi Bunny :-)

The daily slog of radiotherapy with weekly chemo just takes over your entire life for five to six weeks. That is an entire summer holiday school break for most schoolchildren. How easy do they find it to adjust back into putting on uniforms and sitting nicely in class at the end of that? But they have been out in the sunshine having fun and collecting frogs, whereas you have been having radioactivity and toxic chemicals fired into your body at a rate designed to be mean enough to kill cancer yet just not mean enough to cause you too much permanent damage. During treatment you had a comfy and sympathetic routine filled with familiar smiling faces while your immune system was taken to bits. Of course it takes time to adjust from all that cosy routine into your new exhaustion. It is going to take time. Yes a two week seaside holiday and yoga should be really restorative, but don't expect too much too quickly nor push yourself too hard.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli