Dilators

Hi girls

Just wondering if its normal re: dilators had my last braccy 22 of August got my dilators two weeks ago have only tried them a couple of times i can just about manage to insert the smallest one its quite uncomfortable did try the next size up but could only manage the tip of it i use the silk lubricant …bit worried as even the smallest is quite painful has anyone else had the same experience thank u

I've not even used mine and I finished treatment almost a year ago - I'm too scared to! some of the ladies have mentioned discomfort on another post and alittle bit of bleeding too....think it's normal

Hi Siom. 

Just keep trying with the smallest until that feels comfortable and then move on to the next size. 

I use mine every day for about 3 minutes and I use coconut oil for a lubricant.  It's brilliant and quite cheap too from bargain shops x 

I still get a bit of blood on the tip of it (8 months post treatment ) and I've been told it's normal x 

I know what you mean about being uncomfortable. I was the same at first. My nurse said I did not have to use dilators but it would make examinations easier if I did. So I wanted to try.

At first I thought I would never be able to manage it. I was given Sylk the same as you and found out this was the problem. It was too watery and runny. I changed to optilube and that is brilliant.

You may be entitled to free prescriptions - have a look here:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/free-prescriptions-for-people-with-cancer

I also read on a forum somewhere that Hyalofemme was good. I request that and optilube from my doctor on prescription and have not looked back. It does not matter how long it takes to move up the sizes. In fact my nurse said not to go to the biggest size at all.

My nurse told me three times a week for 5 minutes. But every hospital is different.

I hope this helps and can say to you give it a try. There are many people who love Sylk, but I did not.

You can get free prescriptions you need to fill in a form at your doctors

I hav been getting replens on prescription for quite some time. replens used 3 times a week will gradually reduce the need to use a dilator, as it keeps the tissues moist for days, which stops them drying, or sticking together