Delayed smear results, colposcopy referral and very worried

Hello,

I have been reading your posts for a few weeks and I decided to sign up :).

I've always had normal smear tests (before they were testing for HPV first). I had a normal one in August too (6 months ago) in an another country, private. It was normal and the examination was normal too. I had also an ultrasound. All good.

Then I had a mid cycle spotting since October I think, or November. I then decided to go for the NHS free smear tests as well just in case and the nurse said that she can see (with naked eye) changes and she put it down as an ectropion but referred me for colposcopy. It's been almost two weeks and I haven't received my appointment yet.

Two and a half weeks after the smear test and no results so I called the GP today and the nurse said that they haven't received the results but she was able to log into the lab notes and she saw that I have been put down for a repeat smear test in a year's time, referred for a colposcopy but the lab as well and also she said probably my sample has gone for further investigation.

You can imagine that I am terrified. I am a very active person, a busy mum and I love life. I've had two partners in my life up to about two-three years ago. I've had four since and with two of them I also had unprotected. Silly I know but you hear everyone else doing it with their boyfriends! I regret it like you can't imagine.

But could it all happen so quickly? In two-three years? Or probably I got it from my long long term partner before? Who knows.

I am terrified of cancer having lost loved friends and family members and I am thinking of the worst.

If anyone can shed some light regarding what all this could mean I would be grateful. 

Thank you.