Confusion procedure/outcome

Hi all, firstly I’m not one for posting on anything but I feel I’m in need of some help and understanding with this one! So here is goes- I have been going every year for my smear as for several years I have shown HPV positive and had cell changes but it was always to observe. Moving forward to 2021 when I had my little boy and then in 2022 went for my usual smear and I was then referred to colposcopy as the nurse and doctor couldn’t find my cervix!! I went to colposcopy and they had a real job to find my cervix so said they would try and do the smear but didn’t know if it would hit the correct place and hopefully they would see in the lab if it hadn’t, however she said to come back in a year and if they still have trouble I would have to have a general anaesthetic. A few weeks later it came back normal so thought nothing of it. Moving forward to this year June 2023 I received a letter to attend colposcopy which I did and 2 weeks later a letter came back I had severe changes and HPV! and needed to see a consultant. July I saw the consultant and he couldn’t believe the change from normal to severe within a year and said he’s never known it before, he then read my notes and said there is no way they have hit the correct place and I should have been referred to a consultant clinic last year. The consultant said everything looks fine but took another smear and a punch biopsy as he couldn’t believe the change. I received a call 2 weeks later asking me to see the consultant again which I have done and he has stated that it’s the worst possible smear results and they are querying cancer so had to have a LLTEZ and said he was sending it off urgently and it is a 7 day turnaround! I’m currently waiting on a phone call to tell me the results. On one hand I’m thinking I’ll be absolutely fine and on the other I’m worried and anxious. Has anyone ever had this before ? And what is “the worst possible smear result?” There’s so many questions I should have asked but everything went so fast I left in complete shock I think!
Also if anyone is reading this that is set to have a biopsy please don’t worry it didn’t hurt at all.

Hi. Sorry you’re feeling so upset and frustrated. It can be a real shock when you’re called in like that. Just wanted to say the same thing happened with me. I had HPV+ but no cell changes and was called back a year later to be rushed in with severe changes to have lletz the following day. I was so confused as to how that could have happened. If it helps, I had the all clear 2 weeks later and then follow up yearly smears which for all clear for 3 years. That was nearly a decade ago.
I’m not sure if it was missed on the first smear or if it went ‘severe’ quickly but the outcome was fine in the end.

1 Like

Thank you for replying and I’m so glad you’re ok.
They didn’t call today like they said they would so I contacted them and they have said my biopsy has been sent to another hospital for a second opinion. They couldn’t tell me what the first opinion was or anything really until they have came to a conclusion :woman_shrugging: so I have to wait! The wait is hard going!

The waiting is always the worst. Keeping everything crossed for you!

1 Like