Confused by GP

Hi all- I was hoping to get some advice, as I'm so confused. I've had irregular bleeding and pain during sex for about a year now- I saw my gp twice over the year and he said he would chat to the female doctor and let me know if I needed to do anything- no follow up. Since march symptoms have worsened- now have horrendous discharge (like a mucus plug? Blood tinged) can barely tell when I'm on my period as im bleeding so often and it's heavy. Bleeding after sex. I went back to gp and saw a different gp who did a load of swabs to check for various stds, pregnancy, coil infection, which all came back negative. He said he would send me for a pelvic scan and an appointment with gynaecologist, it was a self referral thing so earliest appointment I could book was two months away, he wasn't clear at all the purpose of these tests/referrals but did ask if I had a history of cancer in the family. 

Over the the past few weeks I've been getting the most horrendous pelvic and lower back pain- which got so bad over the weekend I ended up in out of hours gp and ended up seeing my gp ironically- he tested for a uti and pregnancy both negative and prescribed- met something acid for the pain and said to wait for the referrals. 

My my question is I have no idea if it's  cancer he's looking for? What else could it be? Should I go back if the tablets don't work? He wasn't clear on any of these and I don't want to make a fuss of nothing. I've never had a smear test as I'm only 24

Dud you figure out the issue?