Colposcopy

Hi everyone,

I was really looking for some insight from anyone that has gone through the colposcopy process. I have been under the hospital for some years for irregular bleeding, pains, and discomfort/bleeding after sex. After numerous ultra sounds, MRI and deferent contraception routes the conclusion (as of May 2016) was stress related. I really did think it was all in my head and I felt so silly for wasting so many people’s time!
I turned 25 in July and went for my first smear in September, the results were ‘high grade (severe)’. I had my Colposcopy yesterday, CN3 present and LLETZ treatment.
They also took a biopsy, will this be purely to make sure there are no more cells left or does the colposcopy biopsy test for other things? Can the colposcopy only pick up abnormal cells, not virus’ etc?

I’m sorry to rabbit on with questions that should have been asked when I was at the hospital. They did treatment on arrival for what I thought was going to be a biopsy so I don’t feel like I was prepared with the relevant questions! Now I just feel a little bit unsure of a few things as they said it will be four weeks until me results will be ready.

thank you in advance for reading :slight_smile:

Hollie xx

Hi Hollie,

From my understanding the area removed during Lletz is what will be sent for biopsy to confirm that it is cin3 and to check the margins are clear this is making sure all the cin is removed. 

Im not sure if the virus can be detected during colposcopy/biopsy or not, sorry I can't help more. 

Hope you get clear results.  X X