colposcopy results.. very confused!!

Good afternoon,

i hope you are all well. 

I attended my first colposcopy a year ago due to an abnormal smear, I was informed that I was positive for HPV but the colposcopy showed inflammation but no CIN.  

I have just gone back 3 weeks ago for my second follow up colposcopy along with a smear, I have just got my results back and I’m VERY confused. The lovely lady told me on the phone that my colposcopy showed that I am now HPV negative, but I now have CIN 1 which means it has changed since my last colposcopy.

i am very confused as to why when I had HPV I had no cin and inflammation but now I no longer have HPV but have CIN 1, I thought the HPV was what causes changes in the cervix and now that I have got rid of the HPV i shouldn’t have any changes? Please can someone shed some light as to why I now have CIN 1 but no HPV? :(

thanks so so much I’m advance, Claire xxx

Hi, it’s most likely that the CIN1 developed when you still had HPV. So after your last colposcopy. You have no idea how long you have been HPV negative, it may have just corrected itself last week! So has developed in that time. The main thing is NOW you are HPV negative and so it’s very likely that the CIN1 will sort itself out or at least it cannot progress anyway.

Don’t worry, HPV negative is the main thing and very good news x