Colposcopy results differ to biopsy

Hi all- this forum has been unbelievably helpful the last 6 months- so here is a tricky one! I had my first ever smear in February- results said low grade dyskariosis and HPV positive. I then had my colposcopy which confirmed I had CIN1. 6 months later I had another colposcopy. The nurse who was looking at my cervix said that she can definitely still see abnormal cells (could be CIN1 or CIN2) but will take a biopsy to confirm. I have just had a letter back saying that the HPV has not been detected and no treatment is required. This seems like good news but why did the lady who took my colposcopy say there were still abnormalities? Could there be other reasons why she thought it was CIN? I can't help but be paranoid there is an error somewhere?

Any advice would be amazing! 

Hi Paige

As you saw at your first colposcopy, when it's CIN1 they will often give it 6 months to see if it sorts itself out, as it often does.

Did the biopsy results from the second colposcopy say what level of changes had been detected? If it is mild (CIN1) again, and you have no HPV present, they will probably once again wait 6 months to see how it looks. In other words, there may still be abnormalities, but they may still sort themselves out naturally. Mine was mostly CIN1 with a few small areas of CIN2, and you could still see it go white during the colpo, which probably is what the nurse was saying during yours.

I expect they will just have another look at you in 6months time, to make sure it's cleared up OK. Since you don't have HPV, you probably have a better chance of that happening than a lot of us do!

Good luck

E

Thanks Moggsy! The letter said nothing about CIN which is why I'm confused. It just said no more visits are necessary to the colposcopy clinic and that I should have a normal smear next year. Is it possible that there were no abnormalities?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can put my mind at rest. I had my smear and was given a result of low grade dyskaryosis and high grade HPV. My doctors rang me to advise and let me know a letter would be arriving about a colposcopy. I had my colposcopy last Tuesday and was told results between 3-4 weeks but I have had a call from my doctors today at half 6( after they had closed) and a voicemail to call them back but the line was shut off due to being after hours. I now have to wait till morning to call back and am concerned because they are calling so soon. Is this a bad sign??