Colposcopy and LLETZ Positive Story

Hi Everyone, In mid November my GP detected CIN3 from a pap smear (all other paps had been normal). I went for a colposcopy and biopsy a week later and had a LLETZ procedure (under GA in day surgery) on the 2nd of December. I know everyones experiences are different but I just wanted to share my positive story as there are unfortunately many upsetting and negative stories out there that can set our minds wandering. Hopefully my positive experience can help someone in future. So, after being called into my GPs office and getting the pretty horrible news that my latest pap smear had detected CIN3 I was refereed to a gynecologist four days later for a colposcopy and biopsy. I won't lie I was really worried, anxious and thinking about all the worst case scenarios. The gynecologist was great, he immediately out my mind at ease and assured me that at my age (29) and having had regular paps it was very unlikely that he would find cancer. He said the one 'good thing' about cervical cancer is that it takes a long time to progress to 'full blown cancer'. The colposcopy itself was uncomfortable as was the biopsy but I would not go as far to say that it was painful. It was all over in about 10 minutes. He said to his eye he could see CIN3 and HPV but would send the samples away to be tested and get complete confirmation. At this point he recommended the LLETZ procedure and that it should be done under general anaesthetic owing to the size and location of what had to be removed. I asked about the relationship between the LLETZ procedure and not carrying a baby to full term. He told me that the average woman has a 1% chance of not carrying a baby to full term, having one LLETZ procedure increases that risk to 2%. Still an increase but ultimately a risk worth taking if the alternative is potentially allowing the CIN3 to become cancerous. I returned in a week for confirmation that CIN3 and HPV were present but nothing malignant was found. I booked in for the LLETZ procedure two days later. The morning of the LLETZ I was a bag of nerves but the hospital staff and my gynecologist were all wonderful and really put me at ease. I went in at 8am, had the procedure around 10:30am and was out by 1pm. I had the procedure on a Friday and was back at work on the Monday. The recovery from the anaesthetic over the weekend was probably the hardest part, I was very groggy. My recovery from the LLETZ has not been anywhere near as bad as I expected (long may that last). I had period pain like cramping for about 2-3 days which eased up, no bleeding for the first 4 days and have had really light brown discharge for the past 5 days. I have been wearing pads (which I haven't worn in years and was dreading) but they have been fine, you get used to them. I have had slight stabbing pain every now and then but have been told its perfectly normal. I am on the pill and it was recommended to run one to two packets of the pill together to avoid my period during the recovery. I can't do any heavy lifting or intense exercise, have sex, wear tampons, go swimming or have baths for 3 weeks. I did a one hour yoga class 9 days after the LLETZ and felt absolutely fine. I took it easy though and just listened to body, pulling back if I felt I was pushing myself too far. I went back to my gynecologists this morning for the results and it was what was expected CIN3, HPV and nothing malignant found (hurray). He has booked me in to come back for a pap smear and a HPV test in 6 months. He said the act of the LLETZ itself can alert your body and immune system to the fact that HPV is present and not normal and your body (often) will start to fight back against it - heres hoping. I asked about supplements and naturally fighting HPV and he just said to have a balanced diet, exercise, no smoking and keep drinking to a minimum. Basically, just lead a health lifestyle. I am not out of the woods yet but feel comfortable that I have taken action and done everything I can possibly do for now. Anyway, sorry for the very long winded post I just thought that perhaps my experience and the information my gynecologist has shared might help someone through the same situation.

1 Like