Chemo/Rads tips

Hi

i start treatment on Boxing Day for Chemo/ Rads for 5 weeks followed by Braccy. I have stage 2  cervical cancer with lymph node involvement. I was diagnosed in October. I would like some hints and tips please ... And is it tolerable ? will I be able to do some normal things or will I be in bed all the time?  I have started doing a little walk every day and no booze and v healthy stuff. I'm getting quite worried as I thought the treatment would start earlier so the waiting is pants. I'm still positive but with a side order of anxiety. You ladies are the best, I'm so glad I joined this forum. It's like a sisterhood . Xx 

Hi

The treatment is doable. I really didnt have too many side effects. About 3 weeks in i got the diarrhea which Imodium helped with. I also got a little more sleepy. But like i said it is not too bad:-) I still did most of the things that i always did. Also make sure u drink lots of water. Pray all goes well.:-)

Hi Trudyboo. It must be frustrating to have to wait til after Xmas, but you will soon be getting on with it. Everyone is different in how they find the treatment and you may sail through with few difficulties. Most people don't have many problems until nearer the end, when you often begin to feel tired and may have the runs! Make sure you drink lots of fluids. Ginger is great for any nausea, and you will be given steroids to cope with sickness anyway. This can make you feel quite high for a couple of days! Try to take each day as it comes. Some days are better than others and emotions may be a bit up and down. But you can and will get through it, so try to enjoy your Xmas and stick close to the site. All the best x 

Hi Trudy,

I have just finished the chemo rads and it was doable. I found it quite tedious having to go to the hospital Monday to Friday but the treatment itself was ok. 

The chemo made me feel quite nauseous but if you tell your oncology team your symptoms they have anti sickness meds that can help. I also took codeine for leg pain so that seemed to stop me from ever having much diarrhoea. 

I think everyone is different but they do have meds to help with the side effects. I didn’t feel like my energy levels were too affected and still went out with my kids most days. The odd day I was tired but generally I was ok. 

Wishing you all the best in the coming months x 

Hey Trudi, I'm starting tomorrow so I'll let you know how I got on. I'm bricking it a bit today but I guess that's normal.

xx

Thanks ladies .... Much appriciated. Flossie ... Thinking of you today Hun . Susan so pleased it's not too bad for you ...Rachel and Mmouse thank you I'm not dreading it as much now.  keep in touch xxx

I’m on the Home run now Trudyboo

had a really tiring day yesterday- the first one 

I just slept all day and night and woke up this morning feeling a lot better.

hopefully I’ve rested enough and back on track.

its no where near as scary as I thought and only 6 rads to go

ill try to post every day if I can now to give an idea of the last week and any tips I can pass on.

x

That's encouraging Mousehouse! Keep it up Laughing

xx

How you doing ladies ? Any updates ... Mousehouse you have given me courage this week and I promise to pass it on when im going through treatment. Ive stocked up onFybogel, Ginger tea and crystalised ginger. Ive bought a pretty Cath Kitson chemo bag and downloaded loads of books. Ive asked for Cashmere socks for Xmas. Im so scared but eager to get through it and hopefully kill the damn thing or at least put it into remission. You ladies have been a lifeline. xx

You are my insparation . I thought I would be so ill and in some kind of comatose sicky state but Im following your advice. I know we are all different and Im 58. Im so pleased its gone well for you and you may be able to have a peaceful Xmas now. Are you having the brachy next ? xxxx

Just a few quick things that I found helpful:

Take a wrap or pashmina/shawl to put over the arm that the chemo goes into.

Also for chemo days, wear a top with loose arms, so you can just roll it up, rather than have to take your arm out of it.

I don't know how good your veins are (mine were terrible), but take it from me - if they suggest you have a PICC line put in for your chemo, take them up on the offer. I wasted the first week worrying about it and doing hard thinking about the pros & cons, but if I went through this again I wouldn't hesitate!

I had a couple of loose smock tops I wore with leggings & trainers I could slip into & out of quickly for radio. That way you only need to take your leggings off, hop on the table and then pull the bottom of the top up right at the last minute. Stops you freezing while the initial positioning is happening and saves you a little dignity.

If your para aortic node is being zapped with radiotherapy, be prepared for the possibility that you might feel really pukey for a couple of hours after your radio. For me, it got so bad I was throwing up everything I ate after radiotherapy in my first week. I was taking metoclopromide three times a day (for sickness) but I was even throwing that up. The radiologist guessed straight away that it was the para-aorta zap and got me Ondansetron (next level sickness drug) which I took about an hour before my radiotherapy. It made a massive difference, and I used it for the rest of my treatment. No more puking! 

If you do end up taking Ondansetron, it can be very constipating, so you might find yourself in the mad position of being constipated in the middle  of the week and loose at the other end of the week. You sort of get used to it. I lived on mashed potato when I was loose/& or pukey and more balanced meals with veg when I was bunged up. My team gave me drugs to deal with either option from the outset, don't be afraid to use them if yours do too.

I bought a large tub of E45 cream before starting - no weird chemicals & scents - I applied it liberally to my tummy & thighs every day, and started doing this before the treatment began. I had no radiation burns or even soreness or redness. I don't know if I wouldn't have anyway, but that act of daily self care was really helpful. (E45 is OK, but DON'T use anything scented or fancy in the radiotherapy sites though, it clashes with the radio and might actually harm your skin!)

Drink tonnes of water, however crap you are feeling, aim for 2.5 litres a day. It helps your liver & kidneys flush out all the excess drugs hanging around and really helps get those chemo chemicals moving. It's also good for your skin. 

Dont take anything for granted re: your taste buds. I went totally off coffee and anything citrus. I was a coffee fiend, but the mere smell of it would make me retch. It has come back (months later) but you wouldn't believe how your palate can change. Listen to your body & trust it on that front. This is not the time to worry about your waist size, diet, good/bad etc. Be kind to yourself and eat what you want/can tolerate. You can have the luxury of exercising it all off after the treatment is done!

Try to get out into some fresh air each day, even if it's just for a short while, but don't beat yourself up if you can't.

Steroids do weird things to your sleep pattern & activity levels, I would be wide awake in the middle of two-three nights with my mind racing & composing lists of things to do. I would have my chemo on Monday & by Wedesday I'd be doing chores and going a bit mad. By my Thursday 'weekly update' appointment I was manic and then Thursday night/Friday I would crash knackered into the weekend, when I would slowly come back to 'normal' only to go through the cycle again on Monday. Keep a notebook & pen by your bed for these steroid nights.

Stock up on paracetamol at home for minor aches, pains & headaches. It'll save you having to go out and get some.

Get yourself a decent thermometer and check your temperature daily.

I found keeping a journal helpful- I mostly wrote it on chemo days, and whilst in the waiting room for radio, there's a lot of hanging about! I look back on that journal now and it's amazing how helpful it is to be reminded where I've come from. My husband bought me a beautiful moleskin notebook for it so I took it seriously. It's not for everyone but, it's an option. 

This time last year I was on week two of my treatment and just developing a healthy dose of (confirmed) flu that would knock me six for two weeks, it still all worked out in the end though. Whatever is thrown at you, you can deal with this. Tell your team everything, take all the drugs they offer (this is not the time to be noble), sleep when your body tells you to even if that is in the middle of the day, dont beat yourself up about chores this is NOT the time - the biggest job you have is giving your body the best chance it can have to smack down that cancer.

Guess that'll do for now eh? X

Omg Cheery1 you have been mega helpful! It's funny you said about the weight, I'm actually putting it on as I'm making the most of being able to eat yummy things ! we are moving house halfway through my treatment but I've ordered the bedroom furniture and bed  so I can be comfy if I'm tired or pukey! I'm making the most of the time by packing for the move and choosing furniture. It's a great distraction technique ! I'm so pleased that you have done so well ... It gives me hope. i guess these things happen for a reason. Already my sister and I have got closer and I feel very loved by my hubby and friends. When I recover I'm just going to be thankful for every day and I will help ladies on here as well. Thanks Cheery1. Xxxxxxx

Hi trudyboo

im on my last 3 rads next week

they had to reduce my last cisplatin as my red blood cells and platelets dropped, but still in acceptable levels.

so it must be working!

its really not as scary as you may imagine 

the radiation runs can take you by surprise , but as long as you take your meds, you hopefully will be fine.

Rcream- the hospital gave me diprobase - I hate it, it’s horrid, but advised me not to use E45 as it has a metal element in it, that can be an issue if you have residual cream on when having radiotherapy- so I used Aveeno extra care oatmeal cream from Superdrug- the radiographers said it was a good choice.

i also bought some calendula and marshmallow ointment  and calendula oinment from a company called Lyonsleaf.

its all natural and i put the calendula oinment on my tum and the calendula and marshmallow on my ladybits straight after my radiotherapy and every time I go to the loo.

absolutely no soreness whatsoever, anywhere

i use that Aveeno on the rest of my body as your skin gets dry from chemo

but the Lyonsleaf ( google the site- fab,natural product) is beautiful ointment and you warm it in your hands and it goes a long way.

i treat myself to a massage once a week and a manicure too

and generally, pamper myself.

ive worked( I am an engineer and work from home) all through

ive shopped, cooked and cleaned as and when and gone out with friends and generally tried to make it as normal as possible.

but always being kind to myself and resting as needed.

do everything the nurses and docs tell you to do

take your meds as prescribed and let them know if you are struggling with anything at all and they will sort you out.

i found after chemo, part of the infusion you get is a steroid for antisickness,

this and the other steroid they send you home with makes for difficult sleeping

so they gave me sleeping tablets to help

you only take the steroids for 3 days after chemo so I only took the tablets on those nights and oh, it was great.

but your body gets used to them, so only those nights.

if you need any support, just message me and I’m more than willing to help if I can

im scheduled  for brachytherapy- low dose over 18 hours , which is the protocol at Weston park, on 3rd jan

so I’ll be posting after to share my experience. 

dont be scared, this is going to save your life,it’s worth it.

good luck and have a lovely xmas

Di x

Gosh Di... Well done you . You will be able to have an ace Xmas now. You have been so helpful to me and I've taken all your advice. I'm a HR Manager and have been off the last few weeks as I've had awful backache and I have to travel a lot . We are moving house so i have been getting that organised as well. My outlook is positive in life and the only time I've had a little cry is from acts of kindness . Merry Xmas Di, I hope we can have a coffee in the Spring when all this is over. Sheffield is part of the area I cover ! Thanks again ... Jackie x

Yes definitely Jackie- we will have to get a coffee and share chemoradiation tales!

i actually live in Castleton, in the hope valley-it’s an easy drive to Sheffield.

it has been easier for me as I work for myself and my work is on computer mainly- apart from site visits, but I have a friend who has driven me to the visits , just in case I was too tired- it takes a bit of the pressure off.

anyway, good luck on Boxing Day and enjoy your Xmas day, knowing that what you are about to experience will save your life in the long run.

Di x