Cervical cancer whilst breast feeding!

Hello, I’m looking for some advice please but would like to do it anonymously, the thing is I have just been diagnosed with cervical cancer - bummer hay! We are currently in the process of finding out to what degree, I have just had a MRI to get an accurate diagnosis and I am waiting for the results. I’m currently breastfeeding my 5 month old baby (I had to stop for 48 hrs following my radium contrast injection) which we both found hard! I can’t help but feel so guilty about my baby feeding off of my unhealthy body but on the other hand I don’t want to stop if I don’t have to or even until I have to! I find it comforting as does my little one! I’m finding the thought of having to stop feeding my baby so very upsetting, I don’t want to think feeding my baby and having cervical cancer and all the stresses it brings with it is harming my baby not just physically but emotionally too! I’m so confused and don’t know what to do! Can anyone offer any advice please? Xx

I can't see why breastfeeding while having cancer would do your baby any harm. If you have to take any drugs which could pass through your breastmilk then yes, that would be a reason not to feed, but cancer itself is not, so please continue and enjoy that precious time with your child. Good luck x

Dear Sophie, 

I'm so sorry to hear of your plight. This is especially hard for a new mother. I can totally understand the struggles. I was diagnosed when I delivered my baby. Back then, I was just told by my doctors to terminate breastfeeding. I didn't ask why since I was too emotionally distraught by the stupid cancer. If I were to guess, I reckon the doctors wanted me to focus on getting well and through the treatments. I had a radical hysterectomy, followed by chemo radiation and then 4 months of adjuvant chemo, total 7 months of treatment. On hindsight, I couldn't imagine breastfeeding my baby and going through treatment concurrently. I would go mad and be totally stressed out. I did go through a period where I felt extremely torn and conflicted not being able to care for my baby. But I reckon being there for her for the long haul is more important. As for now, let's not panic first. We got to wait for the staging and subsequent treatment plan. Maybe a simple surgery will suffice and you won't need to sacrifice the breastfeediing. One step at a time my dear. 

Hi Sophie :-)

So sorry for your distress. I think that this is a question you should ask your medical team rather than here. I know that having received a cancer diagnosis, even though I am completely clear of disease I am banned from ever giving blood again. There may be similarities, I just don't know.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Sophie,

I would ask doctors if you are ok to continue breast feeding for the time being just to make sure. 

I know its hard but try not to panic about giving breast feeding up as you may not need to. I expressed milk for my baby and I had to stop when I started chemotherapy which upset me at the time but similar to what Ashley said I couldn't have carried on doing it as I was so exhausted.  

If you have a hysterectomy there's no reason for you to stop although you may have to express milk and bottle feed instead of breast feeding. If I were you I would start to express milk as and when you can and freeze it. 

Things will become clearer as soon as you have a treatment plan. Try to just focus on that for now. 

Lots of love,

Cara xxx

I just realised I didn't explain why I suggested expressing. If you go to hospital for an operation it may be helpful to have milk in the freezer Xxx

Hi hon

You'll be fine to carry on with your breastfeeding for now.  It'll probably give you a lot of comfort holding your baby so close. 

If you need a hysterectomy you probably would be able to carry on but because of  the pain killers etc you may have to stop for a while - just express and throw it away, but to be honest you'll probably tire yourself out, plus holding the baby may be difficult for a couple of days. 

If you have to have chemoradiation I would think you'd have to give it up.

You have done so well feeding your baby for 5 months - you have given your little one a fantastic start in life. I'm sure you'll be thinking about weaning soon so he/she will start to get good nutrition from other sources too and you will get pleasure out of preparing this. 

Your baby will continue to thrive. The most important thing at the moment is to get you back to full health so you can prepare all these wonderful pear purees! 

I'm currently minding an 11 week old baby who is breast fed, she takes a bottle very well - I'll check on the name of the bottles as the are great for breast fed babies x 

Hello!

i cut down breastfeeding just before having a radical tracelectomy but was able to build it back up again and actually it was lovely - i did lots of lying down breastfeeding which was so nice and cuddly and a low maintenance way of getting involved in looking after my baby which made me happy.

the pathology results from the trac showed microscopic cancer cells in one lymph node. I was told id need either radiation (which would enable Me to continue bf) or chemoradiation (which would not). I opted for chemo radiation as it gave me the biggest chance of being cancer free. my hubby and I froze embryos before too. The fertility team knew I was bf but didn't tell me to

stop. I asked should I really bf on these hormones and they said prob not so i cut down then but was only on one feed a day by this point

good luck . It is hard but you can do this x