Brachytherapy - I survived it!

Hi Ladies

Firstly thank you to the lovely Phileepa for such amazing support and to all who have replied to my posts I am so very grateful.

So I had my first 17 hour Brachy and it was exactly how Phileepa described it! Not like something out of a horror movie or some of the horrific experiences I have read in other places, I was terrified and whilst I didn't sleep too well and it was boring it was a Fine! very comfy bed, Anasthetic was no trouble and no pain just the feeling or having a large tampax inserted and a mild heavines, I had paracetamol and 2 codeine as pain relief and could sit up a little with two pillows, TV in room and lovely nurse to look after me, the removal of the applicators at the end my worse fear was even that was fine ...a little uncomfortable but had a pain killer under my tounge that sorted that out ..... please anyone due for this procedure don't work yourself into a state or consider not taking the treatment for what it achieves it is more than worth it. I am a nervous patient and if I can do it anyone can .... x

Woo Hoo! Thats so nice to hear! Well done! That just brought a big smile to my face. I have 9 more rads and 1 chemo to go then will be down the same path and every time I think of it I feel anxious about it. So its great to hear it wasnt too bad.

Did they say anything about your tumor progress so far?  The not knowing is also such anxious time!

Thank u for the update. Keep up the good work!!

Talk soon,

Hi Bunny

lovely to hear from you - your treatment is coming along nicely now and hope you are feeling ok.

I had a MRI scan prior to the treatment and the consultant said the cancer is still present but is shrinking so I keep trying to focus on that, hope you will get an update before yours and that it's a good one - I'm sure it will be X

Hello,

My doctor has been talking to me about my brachytherapy and we are hoping for the loopand ring depending on my mri. Have you heard of this? Or has anyone done this? Apparently it not a couple day stay in the operating room but instead 5 treatments of about 20minutes then you go home each day. Curious about thought's or experience's. So glad to hear about your experience as I am nervous for the brachytherpay.

Ameranne, I believe thats what I had. I was put under for the insertion, and woke up a bit crampy but they gave me meds and I was fine. I was then given a CT scan to check placement and after that, waitied for about an hour while they planned the treatment. Actual treatment took about 12 minutes and once that was done, everything was removed, I got up to pee, have a snack and went home. I had a total of 5 in the span of a week and a half. It really wasnt bad at all. My biggest freak out was being put under and they had to give me valium before wheeling me into the OR. By the last one, I made a game of it to see how long I could stay awake after the anesthetic was injected. LOL

WW, Thanks for posting this-so glad to hear it wasn’t so dreadful. I’ll be having the 5 treatments over 2 weeks starting this Wednesday...definitely not looking forward to it- I think I am really scared being put under bc I’ve never had to do it before. I feel so pumped up with drugs already I’m just expecting to feel even worse with all the pain meds, etc. Last chemo on Tuesday and then right into the hospital early the next morning! I‘m getting anxious and just can’t wait for this week to be OVER. 

Thanks ladies for all the replies to WW, helps to get at least some perspective. 

Thank you all for the replies and hope everyone is doing ok :)

It seems the Brachytherapy procedure and duration varies depending on place of treatment, I was terrified on the anaesthetic but it was fine and woke up feeling normal (I had imagined sickness and drowsiness but didn't get that - hope this weeks experience is the same) 

I have felt very tired and imagine the same this week I think it is  combination of the treatment and anxiety, it feels strange almost coming to the end of treatment as had to focus so much on attending daily treatment will be glad to take some recovery time and then hopefully back to some normality, have had a strange feeling in my chest that I think is also anixety - I understand now when people say how they worry about every ache and pain and am going to look forward to some relaxation time next week... my main side effect remains with the dreaded bowels so trying to make food changes to see if it helps, it has worsened a little since my Brachy treatment, would welcome and tips on dealing with this.

I hope everyone has a good week with treatment or recovery :) xx

Hi again, 

Had my first brachy yesterday, I needed a lot of pain meds and clicked my button constantly! Being under was fine, scared me a little bit when they were doing it and I felt like I was fainting, but woke up fine. Second half I was mostly conscious but drowsy from meds and I dozed off in the MRI even with all the noise. The treatment itself was fine too just awkward with all the people in there staring at me half naked all of a sudden (it’s a university hospital.) Taking the equitment out hurt but was fairly quick. I used the meds so much it took me a long time to be able to get up and ready to leave. The day was about 12 hours long! I think my boyfriend and mom were more exhausted than me. I was hungrier than I’ve been in weeks and actually had a decent meal. Next morning ok except for my lady bits are very sore, they suggested sitting in the tub with just some warm water and gave me a cream that is aquaphor with 1% lidocaine, and I can take Tylenol. Bowels are wacky but again I ate more last night than all week probably. All in all not fun but not the nightmare I was expecting. Great nurses. They say the next 4 treatments should be shorter days. Last chemo tomorrow, 4 external, and 4 internal left. CAN’T WAIT to be done!!!

Hi Jess

Well done on completing your first one .... not long to go now :) hope your feeling ok this morning

Im nearing the finish of my second and final brachy, a couple of hours to go, will be glad to be out of the bed but have slept a bit more than last week so am hoping not to be as tired, I need a blood transfusion afterwards so looking at a longer day than expected but then I am finished with my treatment .... the nurses here are amazing too, when is your next trearment? Nice to hear from you xx

Hi WW, 

Haven‘t signed in for a few days. My third out of 5 brachey is tomorrow. Then the last 2 are next week. I know I’m close to the end but the fatigue and nasuea are really doing a number! Any small relief is much welcome at this point...

Glad to hear that you’re done!! Hope that you notice some lessening of side effects sooner than later :-)

Hi Jess

Lovely hear from you and good luck with your next two sessions - very close to the end now :)

I too am feeling very sickly still and keep hoping with each day it will ease, still early days though I suppose ... I hope you start to feel much better sooN x