Borderline changes and hpv+

Hi everyone :)

I’m 28 and had my first smear in april this year. My results took about 2 months to come back, and when they did it said borderline changes in squamous cells and also hpv+. I’ve been invited for a colposcopy, which was supposed to be today but I came on on Tuesday so had to rearrange for the end of July.

I’m just looking for some reassurance and company really As I don’t know anyone else in the same situation. a family member recently had abnormal cells but no hpv and she didnt need a colposcopy. I’ve been with my boyfriend for two years so im guessing I’ve had hpv for quite a while which is worrying me. i Don’t know what to expect. I don’t know why I’ve been called for a colposcopy or what will happen While I’m there. I don’t know how serious this is. 

any insight from someone who’s had the same would be much appreciated :) 

Hi!

I’m also 28 and had my screening results back, it says they found low grade dyskaryosis which they then tested for HPV and that also came back positive. 

I have an appointment for the 24th July. I’m so scared though can’t stop thinking the worse and as you say don’t really have anyone to talk to about it! My partner is just keep saying think positive otherwise I’ll drive myself mad. I’ve cried that many times though and my anxiety is on a new level. 

Fingers crossed everything will be ok for you and good luck x

Hi Both, I am also 28 and following a normal smear at 25 this one came back as low grade dyskaryosis and HPV+. My appointment came through but unfortunately was scheduled for the week I was on holiday so I had to reschedule. I had my colposcopy and punch biopsy this morning. 

A little bit about the actual procedure as to be honest, I'm embarrassed to say that before today, I was more worried about the procedure than I was the results, so in case this is something either of you are worried about I hope it helps!

I went on my own as my husband was stuck at work, I was called through to the room and sat in a chair where I had a brief chat with the consultant (usual medical stuff like type of contraception/allergies), and then she discussed what was going to happen. She asked me if I had any concerns so I told her the truth - my last smear was absolute agony (I swear she tortured me - though I do struggle to relax with intimate examinations) so I was very apprehensive about any pain the procedure might cause. I have also been told in the past that I have a retroverted uterus, so I mentioned that as well although she confirmed that i don't after my examination. She tried to reassure me straight away, she told me that the chair they use gives them a better view than in the GPs office so she would be able to find my cervix much easier and it was less likely to hurt. I was then asked to undress from the bottom (top tip - wear a skirt/dress) and wrap a blanket around me before positioning myself on the chair with my legs in the stirrups. A nurse was also in the room and she chatted away to me about all manner of things, which certainly helped make the whole process go quicker. The actual procedure was uncomfortable rather than painful (although I did have pain every now and then because I kept tensing up), and when she took the biopsy I didn't even know (she asked me to cough at the exact second). After, I redressed (my hospital was kind enough to provide wipes and pads but not sure if this is common practice!). The consultant said she didn't think there was anything to worry about but I would receive biopsy results in 4 - 8 weeks, she told me what to expect over the next few days and gave me a leaflet about things to avoid doing (using tampons/swimming/sex/etc.). 

I will honestly say, as someone who was terrified going in, my smear was much worse than this procedure and probably lasted longer - I was in and out of the room in 20 minutes. I have been in discomfort most of the day since, but I have been able to drive and went back to work straight away, it's not been much worse than period pain. 

Now, in true anxiety form, I'm worried about the results! 

Fingers crossed for all of us and good luck! 

How did it go? I got a letter that just says I do have abnormal cells and I have to go in on Tuesday to discuss treatment, that’s all it says :( sick with worry. Hope you are ok? Totally understand the anxiety xx

Thank you so much for that, unfortunately I’ve only just seen your reply, it would have helped me massively if I read it before I went in. have you had your results yet? I’ve had a letter saying I have to go in to discuss treatment on Tuesday and I’m so scared xx