Bleeding after smear tesr

Hi,

I’m a 45 year old mother of 2. I have my smear tests regularly and don’t normally bleed, maybe a bit of spotting but only for a few hours. 

I had a smear test on Thursday afternoon and am still bleeding. I’m having cramps on and off. Bleeding is mostly bright red but has been dark twice. It’s not heavy, but it’s more than spotting. 

Any advice? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi, Spotting and bleeding can be normal after a smear - I’ve come away spotting and saw blood on the speculum. However, because it’s been longer than a couple of days for you, it might be wise to consult with your GP. 

Thank you for your reply. 

Hi, I bled for 3/4 days after my smear so the nurse tested me for infection which came back clear. I was referred to colposcopy due to my cervix being red and inflamed. I also bled after she took the swabs. Was very anxious during this time. Smear cane back normal and colposcopy went well, still waiting on biopsy results but doctor said she would be surprised if it came back with abnormal cells. Try not to worry about it but maybe best to mention it to your nurse. X