Biopsy side effects

Hi everyone,

This is my first time ever posting in a forum but I just want to thank everyone who posts here for keeping me calm and positive over the last two weeks by sharing their experiences. I apologise in advance for the long post.

Two weeks ago I went to my GP for abnormal bleeding, it has been happening for about two months but was particularly heavy this day after sex which made me go the GP. After examining me, GP sent me straight to the A&E to be on the safe side as she said she couldn't see my cervix as there was too much blood. In A&E I was examined and the dr called in the consultant who told me they'd found a mass on my cervix and were sending me for an urgent colposcopy which was performed last week. At the colposcopy the midwife again called in a consultant who performed a 'larger than normal' biopsy. Midwife told me it was larger than normal as instead of the usual rules of no sex, no baths, no swimming etc for 2-5 days the consultant had said none of the above for 3-4 weeks.

I've stupidly never had a smear before, suppose always thought itd never be me, know that sounds stupid now and trust me I've learned my lesson on how important they really are so will never miss another.

Anyways I was told I'd have the biopsy results in 10 days which again is unusual for Ireland as it's usually 4-6 weeks. Despite putting on a brave face for my husband and boss (only people who know as my boss drove me to a&e) I'm scared what the results will be especially given the way the medical professionals seem to be treating it as urgent but I am trying to look at the bright side that at least now I'm in the system and whatever the outcome of the results at least it will be treated.

I've been bleeding since the biopsy which I expected given the heavy bleeding that initiated all of this. On Saturday the blood soaked through onto the chair I was sitting on and continued heavily all day but had eased up by Sunday morning and is now very light and pink. I'm absolutely exhausted since the biopsy so much so I've taken a few days off work to try recuperate as on Monday I was getting light headed with the tiredness and finding it hard to function.

I apologise for the tmi but I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone has been through similar side effects after a colposcopy/biopsy?

Hi, like you I've had irregular smears... Think I've missed 5, possibly more for different reasons of being busy, couldn't get an appointment to suit, didn't like the nurse, was pregnant, on my period... The list goes on.  I had heavy discharge but thought I had an infection but thought nothing of it. 6 weeks ago I had a heavy bleed just after my period. I went to the doctors. I had an transvaginal ultrasound and bloods and found nothing. I had a smear. My smear came back as high grade and I've missed smears in the past. I've been extremely worried for the last week.

I went to have my colposcopy (privately) today as my doctors messed up and I couldn't bare messing around anymore. When I got there the consultant asked how I had delivered my 3  children? C section. He said he doubted her would be able to access my cervix fully to see the cells but to wait for my NHS appointment (1.5 weeks time). I told him I was feeling extremely worried as my cervix doesn't feel right (self inspection). He tried to reassure me that it was going to be fine. He said he would examine me if it made me feel better. I said OK. As he was giving me a pelvis exam he was pushing really hard. He asked how long I've suffered from endometriosis as I've got it severe around my cervix therefore he can't see my cervix. He said I should be screaming out in pain how hard he was pressing. I've never had any symptoms from this. Until today I didn't know I had it. He's booked me into his clinic at the NHS hospital at 8.30am tomorrow. I'm bleeding very heavily. Has anyone else had this? Could cancer look like this? He was pretty sure it was endometriosis though.

After a full inspection my consultant thinks it's a tumour. Had biopsies taken and he's urgently pushing them through and have an emergency MRI scan booked for this week.

hI have a fused/distorted cervix (hard/mass behind it?) I bleed quiet easily when examined but not through sex and only one heavy bleed prior.

No pain anywhere, no excess weeing/pooing. I've had discharge which I though was an infection and body was trying to clean itself. I've now this week got pain in my left bum cheek or at times pain in my left ovary. 

I am so worried as I didn't have a smear for many many many years (plus 10, maybe 15yrs). Has it been growing this long? How quickly has itt spread through my body? Am I riddled with it?

I am 3 small children and a mum who had a brain injury 2 years ago that needs me. My mum is severely brain damaged and it's been a fight for 2 years with her alone.

Hi Harvitt,

So sorry to hear you've been through such a rough time lately. Unfortunately, like you this is all new to me so I've no answers but hopefully you will get some soon. 

Hi Jeebers,

You too. Xx

Let me know how you get on x

After having biopsies has anyone had worse symptoms eg stomach ache, pain in my bottom( cheek), I've started to bleed tonight, runny discharge and even now got a slight cough. My cervix is very swollen/inflamed. I had my biopsies on Friday and since then I've had symptoms I've never had before and they are getting worse.

Hi Harvitt,

My symptoms definitely got worse around days 3-4 after the biopsy, I had serious cramps and bleeding but if you're worried there may be no harm giving the colposcopy clinic a ring just to be on the safe side and put your mind at ease if nothing else.

I got a call today to go in see the consultant next Wednesday to discuss the results and a management plan so at least I'll know one way or the other by this time next week.

Keep me posted on how you get on xxx

Hi, I've left a message with my consultant and the clinic.

Please look after yourself and I hope and will keep you in my thoughts. 

Cancerous cells have Been found. They can't tell me anything else over the phone.

The mri was even more scary now knowing what they're looking for. Waiting for a PET scan. Praying it is manageable.

Awwwww sending you hugs, you've got this xxx

Jeebers, I can't sleep and I'm so scared. The what if's are driving me crazy. I'm a mess.