Awaiting Colposcopy- feeling anxious, any advise if this is anything that anyone has experianced?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a wait/ this with their colposcopy appointment?

I had my first smeer at the beginning of November, it came back with low risk dyskaryosis and hpv positive. I was supposed to receive an appointment two weeks after (the latest date would be 22nd November) I have called the hospital every week and been told ‘call back next week’ repeatedly and given dates when there ‘may’ be slots in mid jan, but no appointment issued at all and just feeling anxious and a bit fobbed off. Has any one else had a wait of this length for a colposcopy?

I had a colposcopy aged 21 (due to irregular bleeding and being too young for a smear test) that came back all okay I have had symptoms of irregular bleeding, bloody discharge and uncomfortable intercourse over the past few years (last time I had these symptoms was around summer 2019) have always been to my gp about, my recent gp putting it down to the pill or stress bar swabs and an examination has not really diagnosed any further suggestions as to why this sometimes happens. I haven’t had these symptoms for a few month but feel very anxious with the history, and the wait for an appointment.

As this is all new to me with it being my first smear test and now I have moved to London (different city to when I was referred to for the colposcopy a few years ago) I wondered how anyone else would approach this?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate the advice and support.

Hi

I can understand your anxiety, waiting is the worst part. You might find it helpful to know what the NHS protocol is for waiting times for colposcopy. If you have high grade dyskaryosis, you are supposed to be seen within 2 weeks of your smear results. For low grade, you are supposed to be seen within 6 weeks. It sounds like your hospital has gone over this. I would keep phoning and getting on to them. Good luck.

Jx