Anyone please offer advice :-(

Sorry to post such a long story here but I’ve no one else to really speak to, other half couldn’t care less and there isn’t anyone else.

From the beginning of may 2016 I have had 24/7 bleeding, I’ve not had to use a pad or tampon etc. But whenever I go to the loo and wipe there is blood and after intercourse it’s even worse. It varies in colour too, seems to go from dark red/brown to fresh red blood colour regularly. I have been with my current partner for just over 8 years and we have a 6 year old beautiful daughter (I gave birth just before my 18th birthday, Young I know!). And, embarrassingly enough, I have been “sexually active” since the age of 14 which was now 10 years ago… so in 10 years I have had 4 different partners. I have been bleeding now for almost 8 months without fail, whenever I wipe there is blood.

In July i went to my GP to tell them I’d been bleeding now for over 7 weeks, they prescribed cerelle the contraceptive and told me this could stop the bleeding which it didn’t… anyway since may I have begged for a smear test as I feel something is not right. When I go for a wee I feel like I’m not emptying fully and I sometimes have aches in my pelvis and lower abdomen plus I could sleep all day which is NOT me at all.

So I had a private smear test booked then an NHS letter dropped through the door inviting me for a smear (I’m not 25 til april 2017) so I thought instead of paying the £150+ private I may as well go for the NHS one.

I had the smear test on Monday, so 6 days ago, and today I got a letter with the results saying “the labatory has found high grade (severe) dyskariosis” and that it’s “very important I attend further testing (a colposcopy) as soon as possible”… they have arranged a colposcopy for me. Also, I had an pelvic ultrasound before the smear a few weeks ago which appeared normal which I expected as it’s only black and white images?

Now am a realist, I expect the worst and anything better is a bonus. Cancer seems to be rife on my mothers side and my great grandma died of womb cancer and my grandma died a few years ago from lung cancer with mastesis in the brain.

I just wondered if anyone has a similar situation and what their outcome was? I’m just concerned as as far as I see it I became sexually active almost 10 years ago and have given birth nearly 7 years ago plus all my symptoms point towards Ca!

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Shaunna :slight_smile:

Hi Shaunna,

I didn't want to just read your story and not comment. I hope you aren't worrying too much! I have been sexually active since I was 16 which is now 10years for me and I have had more sexual partners. However, my story is much like yours. I had pelvic exams, ultrasounds etc. before they did a Smear test when i was 21.

I had high grade dyskariosis also and repeat smears for 1 and 1/2 years until they found that I had CIN3 cells. I am not saying that that is what you have but just speaking of my experience. Try not to worry (easier said I know) and do ask questions when you go to the Colposcopy clinic. I really hope you get some answers soon.

Take care hun

Vicki x

First how bad of your gp to let you bleed for this long before they did anything?? :-(

Secondly don't stress too much! It's normal to worry, I still worry.. However loads of women have treatment for CIN 3 and are absolutely fine! 95% success rate!!! 

The bleeding could be caused by loads of things. Sending positive thoughts your way x

OK firstly wow can't believe your gp left you so long that's just unacceptable  and I'm so sorry that you are going through this I didn't want to comment but felt I should  as there's bad and good and it's important to be real but still it's not all bad. I myself had no bleeding no pain no signs of anything at all whatsoever had a smear got sent straight to hospital for treatment it was cancer straight off followed by major surgery.  Now I couldn't believe it or take it in i had NO signs they say look for ...honestly not one. I clearly remember crying having my scans saying you've all made a mistake I'm fit and healthy I've not had one sign there's anything wrong. The reason I was so adamant is my friend got called to hospital the sane time she was bleeding having pain even discharge at times she had had her son a year before lots of signs. she went had  treatment she too was highly grade. They called her back a second time to zap a little more but she's been 12 months now n she's fantastic. The reason I'm telling you this is not to scare you but if you would have looked at us both straight away you'd have said it would have been me that had dodged the bullet so to speak and my friend with every sign who had cancer and it wasn't.  It's 12 months for me in a weeks time and I still can't believe it . So be real and prepare yourself for whatever comes but don't write yourself off just yet there's lots of ppl in your boat and it's not been cancer . Sometimes the signs are all there in time to stop it turning.  N hey its not always something in the family we did our family tree a few years ago turns out I'm the first one in my family to ever have cancer. I guess I'm trying to say be positive it's not always bad but be realistic and prepare to deal with anything that's thrown your way.   I hope your get a good result stay healthy 

Erika 

Thanks for all your replies, I had 5 missed calls on Monday 5/12/16 (I'm a student nurse and was on placement so couldn't answer) on my break i called back and it was the colposcopy place asking if I could come in today 9/12/16 but i had to say no as im on placement.. anyway I booked in for my next day off which is Tuesday.. i wasn't expecting it to be so soon, thought I'd be sent a letter with an appointment or booking reference..

strangely enough im not too worried, even when my results dropped through the post box I expected it to be abnormal and didn't bat an eyelid at the result just said to myself "told you so".. i just know something isn't right so had a good feeling it would show abnormalities.

as for my GP, i am angry regardless of what happens.. I've had over 7 appointments about the bleeding since May and felt like I'm fighting a loosing battle. all I asked for was a smear and repeatedly I was told no.. "it will be fine, its probably your hormones".. this is why I had one booked privately for peace of mind.. I have my cycle like clockwork, no heavy periods or cramping pain and usually lasts 4-5 days max. After explaining what's been going on since may they have brushed it off to be nothing.

my symptoms, which I stressed at all these appointments are, constant lethargic feeling, often feeling light headed, stabbing like pains in my lower abdomen which come and go, CONSTANT bleeding when wiping which goes through every shade of red/burgundy possible, extra blood during intercourse, and the odd feeling like my bladder isnt emptying fully even if I am desperate for a wee. 

anyway, i am looking forward to answers on Tuesday because I have a lot to ask and want answers as to why ive bled for nearly 8 months without any concerns to any health professional I've seen! 

my first question will be "can you 100% Guarantee that right now at this time I dont have CC".. ive waited long enough so want this answering and if they can say yes then good! ..but will still be having words with my GP about why she let me wait so long with the symptoms i have!

thanks again all I will let you know how i get on with the colposcopy on Tuesday.. as I said, i expect the worst so anything  is a bonus :-)

Xxx

Wishing you good results hun and whatever they may be you'll deal with it knowing one way or another helps 

Erika x

So I had the colposcopy today, it wasn't too bad apart from that adrenaline, felt like I was going to die for 5 minutes or have a panic attack! awful it was! The LA wasn't too bad i just felt shooting pain in my lower back for a minute or so. 

The lady doing the test confirmed it was CIN3 and said she could do the LLETZ there and then so I said ok go ahead no point in me coming back for it. i couldn't watch on the screen as she didn't turn it on which I would've liked to see, wish I had asked now..I asked her if she was doing biopsies and she said what she's removing would be sent for biopsy.

Now i did ask to see what she removed, it looked like a mushroom and was a lot bigger than I expected.. I thought maybe a small skin tag size sample but this definitely resembled a good size mushroom.

I did try to get her opinion on what she saw but she had a good poker face and seemed to know what to say. However, she did say if your letter with the results says come in for a chat then don't worry but it may be something further or need further treatment and then she said if it comes back clear you'll get a letter saying this with info on returning for another smear in 6 months.

so I suppose it's just a waiting game now, she said 4-6 weeks it usually takes so will be mail watching now lol.. hopefully it's nothing but with my symptoms ive had for 8 months I am slightly nervous.

Fingers crossed! 

Xx 

Dear me, your GP sounds as qualified as what mine does. Apparently they have been getting their licence to practice from the back of a Kellogg's box. 

Truly praying your results are fine. You know yourself when your body is not right and you did the right throng persisting for a test. 

I hope everything goes well and it's just a follow up in 6 month. 

Please keep us posted :) 

Don't know if this will help you worry a little less hun but for bad news they dont send a letter they call you in. After my initial meeting and told we will write to you to come in  i got a call pretty much straight after and asked to come in for a chat first thing the next morning. So the longer time passes tends to be better news. Just try put it to the back of your mind  (easier said than done) and enjoy your Christmas.  Really hope you get a fantastic outcome I've got fingers crossed for you  

Erika x