Any other type of scan?

I have had 2 MRI scans since my radical abdominal trachelectomy in December 2016. One at 6 months and the other a year on in December 2017. The consultant initially told me my 6month scan was fine and then at my follow up 3 month later that a lymph node had shown up but when they had discussed it at MDT it was agreed it was within size to not be of concern. I have to say I was a bit annoyed they didn't tell me to bgein with.

I have been suffering with various pains since my surgery and they ordered my December scan which came back as the same as the June one or so the letter said so I guess it is ok but need to ask about lymph node at next app.

I asked whether this pain coupled with the lymph node suggested recurrence she didn't say much I asked for a percentage and then I asked how much an MRI shows up and she said if it was v small it may not.

My long winded question is how else can they tell? What other diagnostic tools can they use to rule it out? I am back and forth with being ok and not worrying to being very fearful that it is all over my body. I know 2 people who were wrongly told they were cancer free so that worries me a lot. 

Thanks in advance x

There isnt many scans that will pick up very small amounts of cancer. Pet scans will usually show anything over 0.5cm. MRI is considered a good tool but saying that i have only had ct scans and two pet scans. Did they say when they are planning on scanning again? I think i am having 6 month ct scans now but i recently had some biopsies taken as i have visible changes from the radiation.  I had the pet scan rather than mri as my tumour was large and had grown into my vagina and they suspected spread. .which it had through to the paraaortic lymph node.  They can also biopsy but that is invasive ... so they might consider monitoring more appropriate. Maybe you can give your nurse a call and she can help explain things better for you. Best wishes xx

Hey

That's useful, thank you. I just feel like a bit I am in limbo as the answers I get are not conclusive.

Oh do you know how the biopsy would work? I guess they would need to do surgery or something to take a sample..

I think the next one would be 6 months.

I don't have a nurse here, not sure if cos I am in Scotland or just that my stage was early,

Thank you for your help!x

I'm not quite sure with lymph node biopsies. It would be in theatre though.  Maybe hysteroscopy. You'd have to ask one of the other ladies.  The biopsies they took from me were vaginal wall which they did under s general anaesthetic With a eua and cystoscopy. 

If I was in your position I would push for at least a pet scan (you may have to travel). If the mri is small it may only have a small uptake on the pet which they may draw as inconvlusive but if it had any uptake at all I would be asking for a biopsy.

Our NHS has a very wait and see approach  and you have to sometimes push unfortunately. Lymph nodes obviously enlarge for totally normal reasons So I understand why they do it but for us it's not great. 

I had a lymph node on my mri that was slightly enlarged, that then had an uptake of 3 on a PET scan (not very high) which then when tested was positive for cancer. I'm not too sure how they would go about it... probably under General and keyhole surgery? Mine was taken as part of a planned hysterectomy that then didn't go ahead. 

Hope you get some answers and it's just your lymph nodes doing their job. 

Hello PrincessG

Thank you for your answers! I agree, the approach seems to be wait and see. It feel like.. what?? wait and see if it gets worse? I mean why do that if they can act now?

I will have a follow up soon and will ask. Thank you for your help! x

If you’ve only had MRI scan you could ask for a PET/CT scan, I have had all through treatment and diagnosis, my initial post treatment scan was an MRI and then another MRI 3 months later, I’m now having a CT scan as got to have bladder surgery and my consultant wants to check that I’m still cancer free before it goes ahead.

good luck hope you get something sorted xx

Hi Shell17

Thank you for your advice. I have just received my follow up letter so my next app is at the end of this month. I will ask and see what they say.x