AIS and desire for a child

Dear all,

Thank you first of all for the ability to ask questions around here. Reading other topics already helped a lot. Long story short: last summer I was diagnosed with atypical glandular cells favor neoplastic, and after and endocervical biopsy/curettage they confirmed the diagnoses adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS). I was quickly scheduled for a cone biopsy and I got clear margins with the side note that they couldn’t judge a part of the top hat of the specimen. The normal procedure in my country is that I will get regular follow-up for 2/3 years with pap smears.

The only thing is, I am 30 years old and I definitely have a desire to have a child. My LTR ended a while ago and there may be other possibilities to have a child, but I don’t have a clue about how much “time” I have to try for a baby because AIS is a tricky diagnosis and it might reappear. It would be an absolute nightmare to wait until I’m let’s say 35 and it then appears I should have an hysterectomy or another cone biopsy which increases early child birth.

Are there people here with any experience/advice on this topic? Should I make it a top priority to put the desire for a child in the coming years? It’s especially hard for me since I’ve read that in so many cases the golden treatment is already an hysterectomy - which I absolutely don’t want.

Many, many thanks :slight_smile:

If I were in your position, I’d make plans to start trying to get pregnant using a sperm donor + prioritize dating at the same time. Don’t let the lack of a partner stop you from your dream of having a child. Be very straightforward and blunt with the men you’re dating. Many men are ready for children, especially once you get to men in their late 30s.

Hi,
I know how troubling this can be. I’m 31 and feel like I was born to be a mother - I’ve always dreamed of having a big family. My oncologist just advised me today that chemo/radiation is necessary and will take fertility off the table for me. I actually also had Lymphoma about 11 years ago requiring chemotherapy (which can also impact fertility) and made the decision to freeze my eggs at that time as a contingency plan. After radiation I won’t be able to carry my own child, but having eggs frozen from before allows me to consider a gestational carrier (surrogate) and still have a biological child whenever myself and my husband are ready. If you have clear margins for now you can certainly expedite carrying your own child via a sperm donor while you’re able, but I’d also explore whether freezing your eggs might be an option for you. This will give you the option to pursue motherhood with a biological child down the road when you feel the time is right or with the support of a partner, even if your AIS has resurfaced and your fertility options have limited. Talk to a fertility clinic for more information or ask your oncologist if they have a fertility clinic they refer patients to. Shady Grove is a US based fertility center and have been wonderful if you’d like to look into them - they have locations throughout the US and have programs to help assist international or out of state patients. Good luck and keep your head up!

Thank you very much for your thorough replies. It remains a hard question because shortly after my CKC I ended my relationship so it has been a lot lately ;). But considering freezing eggs is not a bad idea. I don’t live in the US but healthcare in my country is good and I will have an appointment with a doctor about this/all my options considering AIS and pregnancy in the near future. Due to another disease (Crohn’s) and a fulltime job it might be a bit hard to do it on my own - but not impossible though. I’m also considering waiting a few more years to see how things pan out (especially with the repeating pap smears and results) but I also know that is a risk. Sigh.

Dear cocorose, this must be so hard for you. Chemotherapy sucks. I hope that someone else will carry your lovely child one day. I am sure that is going to happen. Take care.

Thank you, I guess this is very realistic and little hard for me to state this quite bluntly but I have few other options.