After a radical hysterectomy!

Hello

I just wanted to say that this forum was a great support to me in June 2016, when I first discovered I had cervical cancer after a smear test.

I never had any symptoms and I have never missed a 3 yearly smear test.

I’m struggling on HRT and feel like a hormonal lunatic, but recovery was really quick after a laparoscopic radical hysterectomy and I didn’t have any pain or discomfort and I was back to every day tasks quite quickly.

The worrying is awful waiting for test results after the MRI scan. I still worry about stuff now, or it coming back and I have two children to care for and adore so everything goes through my mind!

It seems so odd that I’m only 39 years old and have been diagnosed with cervical cancer. But, now I only have 6 months check ups and don’t require any more treatment…it seems surreal!

If I can help anyone with any advice, I’m more than happy as I understand what it’s like to be diagnosed. I don’t know how I stayed so positive but now I do struggle with what happened to me…but I try to put it to the back of mind!

Love xx

26 April Smear test

19 May 2016 LLETZ procedure/HIGH GRADE CGIN/CIN3 Glandular Neoplasia

3 June 2016 LLETZ results, possible Cervical Cancer as suspicious cells detected, maybe GRADE 1, possible Adenocarcinoma. Referred for 2nd. LLETZ, MRI and MDT.

13 June 2016 MRI scan

24 June 2016 consultation 1B1 Adenocarcinoma

11 August 2016 Radical Hysterectomy

September 2016 - Lymph nodes clear/cancer removed. All clear

November 2016 - Check up, all good/all clear

2 Likes

Cheers to you Snoopy and Happy Christmas!

xxxxx
Tivoli

Hi Tivoli,

Thank you for all of your previous advice.

Happy Christmas too :) X

Hi Snoopy77

Sounds like I am similar to you. I just wanted to ask how long it was till you felt normal? I had my hysterectomy on 25/11 with 34 nodes removed and the margins were all clear. I was hoping at 6 weeks I'd be gettting somewhat back to normal but that's not the case. I am still pretty swollen and numb. I have a persistent pain in my right hand side round my pelvis which is more swollen than the other side. The doctor has said it's normal but I am so worried it's fluid. I never had any discharge after the surgery Think he sewed me up to tight ;) if anyone could share how there recoveery has been I'd be grateful as normal and jeans seems so unrealis.

Thank you :)

Hi JSR :-)

Did anyone actually say you'd be 'back to normal' after six weeks or was it more along the lines of 'you must take great care for the first six weeks?' For the first six weeks you need to treat yourself as gently as wet tissue paper and after that you can begin to rebuild your strength and start thinking about trying to get back to normal.

Hope that helps
Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Tivoli, no one said that but all the talk has been about up to 6 weeks. Feels like I am in limbo land now. I was so good and haven't done much up to the 6 weeks but worried that I still am not able to walk very far and there are no signs on any sort of normal yet With my body, jeans seem like a thing of the past even underwear are uncomfortable! its so frustrating:(

thanks 

Hi

Im sorry you dont feel like your recovery is going quick enough. I had a radical hysterectomy on the 15th December. I was told not to lift anything heavy for 4 weeks and try and walk everyday as that will improve your recovery time. So I did,I made sure I walked everyday when my legs hurt from the lymph node removal I rested I didnt push myself too far but I did try. A couple of days I didnt do anything and I then stuggled to get going again. I definatly think you do have to help yourself a bit. Gradually building your self up.

Now 4 weeks on Im out walking the dog im back at work yes I have a few little niggles everynow and then but no pain.

I hope things improve for you and your soon feeling like yourself.

Take care.