Abnormal cells or cancer? Waiting for biopsy results

I had a colposcopy recently due to symptoms and the consultant advised me at the time that I have abnormal cells and took a biopsy. She also mentioned it’s very likely I’ll have to come back for treatment. My worry is , if this is cervical cancer would the consultant have been able to see/tell at the time or does this get diagnosed at a later stage? With a 4 week wait for the biopsy results I’m going out of my mind with worry! 

Hi Amy 

Around late 2018 one of my routine Pap smear came back as Abnormal and we kept repeating them after every 6 months or so which never changed that. Then my doctor started talking to me about possibilities of them turning to cancer and told me we need to do biopsy ASAP and if they find something he would advice me to go ahead and remove the uterus ( my fault for assuring him I dint need more kids ) I have to boys one 20 and the other one 14 am 37 years old .

so removing the uterus at that time wasn't as scary for me as the biopsy coz I know biopsy is a big word associated with cancer . So I went for second opinion different doctor.

my symptoms were itching down there for almost a year and bleeding after Sex not to mention irregular periods . The new doctor said he don't see anything at during pap procedure so that really encouraged me . Gave me a shot and medication ( not sure what it was I forgot ) this was early 2019 . After that shot I was not itching no hurting after sex until to this day, then the papsmear results came as abnormal again so they found high risk hpv and ordered a biopsy . Biopsy came back as Hsil and was scheduled for a lletz under GA . 
Had lletz under GA yesterday and not as bad as I expected. They put some iv then last thing I remember is being told to take deep breath in a mask then I had someone calling my name hours later . Went in theater at 1:20ish and came to minutes to 4pm , was slightly dizzy until I got home and slept , tried to eat oats maybe 3 bites and I was done . So just woke up like 2 hours ago , no pain no bleeding . Sorry for long story but I was personally looking for such stories to know what to expect . My prayers were answered no GA side effects and the procedure was a success. Glory be to God.

Hi Amy,

Sorry to hear you're struggling and having to go through this uncertain journey. 

My understanding is that if your consultant believes there is cancer during your colposcopy they will explain this to you and what this means there and then.

Abnormal cells can vary in severity and the surface area they have spread. The biopsy allows them to know if they require treatment within the next couple of months, or if they should be monitored to see if your body heals itself over the next 6 months.

If you are called back for treatment please be assured that many of us on this forum have had successful treatment usually in and out of hospital in a matter of minutes or hours depending on waiting times and the hospitals themselves.

Cervical cancer is one of the most successfully treated cancers, although the cervical screening programme means that it is rare for someone to be diagnosed due to checks being so thorough and cervical cancer taking between 10-15 years to develop.

Please try not to worry and spend as much time as you can distractimg yourself with activities to take your mind to more positive places x

Thank you for your kind comments and reassuring me.

I'm panicking again now however as I've just had bleeding after sex a few days after the biopsy (I wasn't advised not to have sex?!) I don't usually get bleeding after sex, but knowing I have abnormal cells coupled with this has really scared me !

I barely bled after the biopsy a couple of days ago so the bleeding tonight was very unexpected! 

anyone have any similar stories ?

Thanks 

After biopsy I was adviced to avoid sex for 3-4 weeks to avoid any infection. Sorry they did not tell you to avoid sex or inserting anything like tampons or douching . If you notice any smelly discharge other than bleeding ring your Gp and ask . Good luck .

Hi Amy! 

I am the same as you. So worrying, I had breast cancer in my early 20s so it's all too fimilar! I hope you don't have to wait to long! Has any one experienced groin pain? I have had what feels like a trapped nevre for several months now and just put it down to exercise but now am slightly freaking out. 

I was told 48 hours not to have sex after biopsy 

I very foolishly made it to 36 (LDR) and tbh I had some low level issues with what seemed like mild infection for 4 weeks after

Hi,

can I ask what the low level issues were? I had no bleeding at all after the biopsy but since having sex I've been having some light bleeding not quite as heavy as a period but don't know what to do now or if this is normal?!