5% of people who still have HPV after Cell removal

Hi Everyone, I had an abnormal smear test 2 years ago which resulted in me having a colposcopy and then removal of CIN Grade 1 and 2 cells. After 6 months I had another smear which showed I still had HPV but after another colposcopy no abnormal cell. I was told that in 95% of cases after treated to removal cells HPV goes but I am in the 5% of women that this has not happened too. I was also told to have my next 1 year check at the hospital so they can just to a colposcopy there and then. I am worried that I continue to have HPV and there could be more abnormal cells and what this means for treatment? Anyone had the same experience?

Hi, yes sadly I’m in the same situation as you. I had my LLETZ in 2020 and have been HPV positive ever since. My first test of cure said no abnormal cells, second one borderline and my third had moderate abnormal cells…because I’ve had so much trouble after my first LLETZ they didn’t want to rush into me having it again. I have another appointment in February and I’m expecting I’ll need another LLETZ treatment.

2 Likes

Hi Ladies, unfortunately I am also in the same situation! I had lletz for CIN2 and was told it was completely removed. But unfortunately after 6 months, I still have HPV and cell changes again!

I just got back from my colposcopy this morning. The Dr said I was in the 5% and very unlucky! Which is not what you want to hear! He didn’t see anything concerning, and thinks the abnormalities are from HPV, but took a biopsy just to confirm, though he wasn’t worried. He also said that some strains of HPV can cause more cell changes than others.

I think unfortunately some people just take longer to clear the HPV, even after treatment. I take comfort in the fact they’re keeping an eye on us. Wishing you both the best for future tests and results :heart: we’ve got this far, we can keep going!

5 Likes

Same situation, Had LLETZ almost 3 years ago now and still HPV positive. First years HPV positive no abnormal cells, last one was HPV positive ASCUS now I am back to doing a test this week and I have the feeling it will be CIN this time. No idea why I can’t clear it I am the type of person that is never ill I have HPV type 16 I know that type is a hard one to clear

Hi Ladies same boat I’m afraid. Had HPV + for prob 4 years, mild cell changes, CiN1/2, LLETZ, no changes, smear, minor changes, colposcopies. And because I’m 59 and I think partly through LLETZ I have stenosis (narrowing) of the cervix so they can’t do another LLETZ. Appointment in Feb to see if I need a full hysterectomy. If I could clear the high risk HPV things may be different but if they can’t properly check my cells now, given the state of my cervix I’m not sure even then I can avoid a hysterectomy. I feel like I’m on a merrygoround!

2 Likes

Hello Jenny yes it seems like the never ending story but I also think we are the lucky ones that had treatment before anything else more serious happened,.At this point for me if they offer me hysterectomy I will definitely take it I am 44 had my kids already and keep having to go for Coloscopy is not fun.I know hysterectomy is not always a final solution as you can still develop cell changes in other areas but those are more rare than CIN .

1 Like

Hi Hop1 agreed feel very well cared for. I’ll go with the advice and probably have a full hysterectomy. My uterus has done its job for me for which I’m grateful! I’m going to ask why just the cervix can’t be removed? Maybe that won’t resolve the problem long term

1 Like

Let me know how you get on good luck :+1:t3:

1 Like

And you!

1 Like

My colcscopy is next month and I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I am 37 and hoping that it won’t come to anymore and aware you can’t have muliplE LETZ. Fingers crossed

I’m also in the same boat sadly. I’ve been HPV positive for 5 years now and had my first LLETZ in 2020 at the very beginning of the pandemic! I’ve had an awful time with stenosis and had emergency dilation twice. At my last appointment at the hospital my doctor put the dyes on and nothing showed but the smear came back with moderate changes. Apparently I have inflammation and atrophy so was prescribed estrogen pressaries. I have to go back in 3 weeks and have an awful feeling another LLETZ is on the cards :disappointed:

1 Like

Sorry, I know the feeling having HPV for so long is frustrating I have no idea how long I had it but probably around the same as you 5 years. I went for a test and now waiting for results, quite sure they will ask me to go back to Colposcopy again :upside_down_face:. Trying to be strong and keep telling myself I am lucky to catch it early and it will eventually go away. Good luck on your results

1 Like