HPV positive following LETZ

Hi,

I had my first smear at 24 to be told that I was HPV positive and had abnormal cells. I was referred to colposcopy who scheduled me in for another smear 12 months later. Again this was HP positive and minor abnormal cells. After the 3rd year I had the same results yet again and was referred for LETZ treatment which I had done in December 2022.

I have just had my 6 month follow up smear to be told that I no longer have abnormal cells but I am still HPV positive and will be referred back to colposcopy. This has left me with hundreds of questions and lots of worry as I was expecting everything to come back clear following the treatment.

I guess my main worry is what happens next? I have already had HPV for at least 3+ years and it still has not gone so what is the next steps? Is there anything I can be doing to try and get rid of it? I’m 27, healthy and to my knowledge have a strong immune system so I just cannot understand why my body is not able to shift this virus. I have been with the same sexual partner for 4 1/2 years and don’t want children under I am mid 30’s but now I am starting to worry about the impacts HPV may have on this and my relationship.

Hello I had LLETZ 2 years ago and since all my tests have same results no abnormalities but HPV positive. I have been to Colposcopy 3 times since LLETZ. My gynecologist said not to worry and just keep coming for appointments worse case scenario CIN comes back and I need another Lletz, but most probably my body will get rid of the virus at some point she also mentioned that some women stay HPV positive for many years after Lletz but it doesn’t always means more problems. But anyway basically is just very important to keep a close eye but doesn’t always mean CIN is back. Take care let me know how you get on

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m sorry you are going through this. I just want to add that there is some evidence that some people are genetically incapable of clearing HPV , not a personal failing. If you are unable to clear it, it be may have nothing to do with your immune system. Most important thing is that you stay on top of your exams and continue to be as healthy as possible. Good luck!

Hello i have my lletz treatment 2/5/23 but I haven’t received the results yet. It will be 5 weeks already, I’m quite afraid that it will probably be bad.

Thank you all for your support.

I revived the below reply from a Member of the Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust Medical Panel which I found very insightful as I was not aware that LLetz only gets rid of HPV in 70% of cases.

There are some women who do not manage to get rid of Hpv. This doesn’t mean you will definitely get abnormal cells . However, it does mean you are more at risk of getting abnormal cells. Therefore, you will need to be screened annually while you remain hpv positive.

70 % of women clear hpv after a lletz procedure whilst 30 % remain positive. Please do not worry. The important thing is that there are currently no abnormal cell present.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Member of the Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust Medical Panel.

2 Likes

I had my appointment with colposcopy yesterday and due to some changes they decided to take a biopsy. I am a bit concerned with this seeing as my smear less than 4 weeks ago came back saying that I no longer had abnormal cells. Nonetheless I am grateful that it is being looked into and precautions are being took. Hopefully everything comes back clear and I can go back to routine smear tests.

Thank you