2nd smear results- HPV+ & abnormal cells

I had my first smear in August 2020 at 25 years old and the results showed that I was HPV positive and had abnormal cells that showed low grade dyskaryosis from the smear. I was invited for a colposcopy that confirmed the abnormal cells. The colposcopists were great and did their best to put me at ease. They were concerned at the time by the amount of abnormal cells that showed up and said that they would normally do a LLETZ but did not want to at that time due to my age and that I would be high risk. They took several biopsies that showed CIN1 abnormalities. These results took a considerable amount of time to come back as there was a meeting between consultants to discuss the proceedings for my case. They concluded that it would be reviewed in 12 months with a follow up smear test. In October 2021 I had my second ever smear. I was hoping that the results from this would show some improvements, I particularly hoped this as it took 6 weeks for my results to be sent back to me and assumed that this meant good news. Unfortunately, I was told that yet again I am HPV positive and have low grade dyskaryosis. I am due to have my second colposcopy in January 2022. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is it normal for HPV and low grade abnormalities to persist? How many times can you have a colposcopy? Should I expect a LLETZ this time?

Hi there, I have just had my letter to say my recent smear is HPV positive with ‘borderline’ abnormal cells. I have really extreme health anxiety and I have been under a lot of stress as I have only just got divorced after a 20 month ordeal and I feel that the stress has meant this has happened. I keep worrying that I have cancer.

@Lydia22, I’m sorry I haven’t experienced what you have, but have had my first colposcopy last week. Did they just take biopsies? If so, and the abnormalities which are low grade haven’t been treated, then your body simply hasn’t cleared them yet so that is why they are still showing on your smear.

@HEH0 I know it’s easier said than done, but please don’t worry that you have cancer. Abnormal cells come in different stages of severity, even the CIN3 abnormal cells only have a chance of becoming cancerous. Yours are borderline abnormal, which often clear up.

My very first smear (before they tested for HPV) came back borderline abnormal, so they tested me again 6 months later and they had cleared themselves. My smears have been coming back with no abnormal cells ever since, although as I’ve tested positive for HPV for the past three years (since they changed the screening process and now check for HPV), I had a colposcopy last week.

The screening process is very good and any abnormal cells can be dealt with if they need to be. My best friend had severe abnormal cells on her first smear 15 years ago, and had the LLETZ treatment. She has had clear smears every since.

Take care of yourself, try to reduce your stress where you can and ensure you have a good diet to keep your immune system strong. You’ve got this :muscle:t3:

3 Likes

Hi Lydia,

As the colposcopy procedure is quite simple and less invasive than a smear, you can have them as often as needed. I seem to have them every year!

Currently, the referral to copolscopy is made if (a) you’ve tested positive for hrHPV (high risk strain of HPV) and your last HPV test was also +ve, (b) if you are HPV +ve for the first time and your smear showed some abnormal cell changes or (c) you are HPV negative (or +ve) and your smear showed high grade dyskaryosis (moderate or severe) or more significant cell changes (in this case they’d investigate regardless of HPV just to sure). So ladies who have only low grade abnormal cell changes and are HPV negative wouldn’t get a colposcopy.

The colposcopy is considered more accurate than the smear which only shows some cells. The colposcopy shows all the cells and the colposcopist can see the full extent and bigger picture.

As for the colposcopy results/outcomes (again just from my research, I’m not medically trained), treatment/biopsy is always given for cases of CIN3 and more severe. CIN1 is just as likely to clear itself than not, so depending on the extent of it, they like to wait and see rather than treat (because they might be over treating ladies who nay not otherwise need it). If the CIN1 doesn’t go away or changes further, they might do LLETZ but I’m not sure as this hasn’t happened to me. For CIN2 it’s known that even that can clear (but i believe it’s less likely) so treatment/biopsy is on a case by case basis.

I have tested +ve for hrHPV since 2016 and my smears usually show abnormal cells, borderline changes or low grade dyskaryosis (terminology changed in last couple of years) though I did have a normal smear in between. Each time I get a referral to colposcopy because of (a) and (b) above. I don’t mind though, in fact I sometimes think why bother with the smear I may as well go straight to colposcopy if I’m still HPV +ve. Colposcopy is far less uncomfortable than a smear! It’s the waiting around for results that us a nightmare.

I’ve never needed biopsies or treatment following colposcopies so I just get put on 12 month recall for next smear each time. I’m happy enough that I’m being screened so regularly and just keeping an eye on it all.

As you’re HPV has only been found twice, it’s still very very like that your body will clear it naturally, and even if it doesn’t, you might find you just get more frequent screening like I do.

Good luck with your colposcopy, here’s hoping its CIN1 or less. I also hope results are quick - the usual lead times are totally out of the window at the moment for obvious reasons.

Best wishes
Autumn

3 Likes