22 & unsure about how to get tested

Hi, I just wrote a super long post and then when I tried to post it the site went offline and deleted it all, so I’m just gonna keep it short this time - I’m 22, have been having some concerning symptoms for quite a while now, and really want to get tested for cervical cancer sooner rather than later. (GPs have already done the common blood tests, ruled out common STIs (not including HPV), ruled out cystitis, and done an internal pelvic exam which they said looked fine.)

Because I live in England, they won’t give me a smear test on the NHS so I’ve been looking into going private. However, some of these sites say that you shouldn’t get a smear if you’re already showing symptoms as smear tests are designed to find pre-cancerous cells, and that if you’re already showing symptoms you should go to your GP. Which isn’t helpful for me at all considering my GP def won’t test for cervical cancer until they’ve exhausted all other options, in which case - if I did have it - it could be too late, and I’m not willing to wait for that possibility. I’ve also read that if you’re showing symptoms they can do a blood test specifically for cervical cancer, but I don’t know how to go about getting that/asking for it (unfortunately I’ve found that doctors look at me like I’m a hypochondriac when I bring up cervical cancer, simply because of my age, even though I have a number of the symptoms!)

Basically, I’m feeling pretty lost and overwhelmed about this - does anyone have any advice for what I should do? Should I go ahead and get a smear privately or should I ask for the blood test? And if the first, are there any private healthcare organisations you’d recommend? I’ve found it very difficult to track down specific information about how to get a smear test privately, most sites of organisations that do it are very vague.

Thank you, I would really appreciate any responses as I’m feeling incredibly anxious about this and it’s difficult when your GPs aren’t taking you seriously.

Hey there. Although i am old enough to have smears, i have been using AXA ppp private healthcare thru my husbands employer for other health issues. I am sure you can self pay tho. I used a website for a cancer blood test, not specifically cervical, but it gave a bad reading. I went to my doctors absolutely petrified, so eventually they agreed to re test it and it came back within a normal range. So what i am saying is avoid sites that can offer you a blood test. To name and shame, i used Medichecks! I think a smear will be your safer bet and if they won't carry one out based on your symptoms then certainly look privately for peace of mind x

Thank you! I've decided to go for the private smear and have eventually found one near to me and they should be able to get me an appointment within the next couple of weeks. Definitely feel some relief knowing that's sorted out now, though still very anxious about the results

That's good. Let me know how you get on..

hi - I just wanted to send you a message as I'm in a similar situation to you. 

I'm 21 and have just paid to have a smear and HPV testing at Marie Stopes - they are really good and the doctor who gave me the smear was really helpful and told me what is best for me to do next. I am just waiting for the results now, really anxious. 

Marie Stopes charge £79 for the smear or £185 for the smear + HPV testing.

Let me know how you get on

Best wishes

:)

Hi, I just got mine done privately today (I wanted to go to Marie Stopes but couldn't afford to travel to London!) and it's increased my worry because the pain was excruciating and when the doctor took out the speculum it had blood on it, and I've had cramps since. Trying not to worry as my GP seems to think it is more likely to be endometriosis. They've said I'll get the results next week. Have you received your results yet?

Thank you, you too :)

Hi, I just got mine done privately today (I wanted to go to Marie Stopes but couldn't afford to travel to London!) and it's increased my worry because the pain was excruciating and when the doctor took out the speculum it had blood on it, and I've had cramps since. Trying not to worry as my GP seems to think it is more likely to be endometriosis. They've said I'll get the results next week. Have you received your results yet?

Thank you, you too :)