2 Biopsies taken

Hello All, today was my colposcopy and they ended up taken 2 biopsies . Needless to say i’m bricking it as i’ve had a whole host of gynaecological issues over the last year. When i had my smear it come back as High risk HPV 52 and low grade cell changes. How likely is it that the biopsies could come back with CC.

i’m massively flapping over it and the wait is going to kill me. Does anyone know how likely this could be. x

Hello as far as I understand there is a low chance of cancer there are many more cases of abnormal cells than cancer stay positive :sparkles:. Overthinking is the worst thing to do before results come out, that is exactly what I did and I really regret it now and try and just stay positive until results come out.

1 Like

Thank you for responding, it’s so hard i really thought it was going to be ok and no biopsies would be needed. But when she said she was taking two my heart just sank. Think the wait will kill me x

Hi Bendybird - this was exactly how I felt just 4 weeks ago. 2 biopsies isn’t a large number - I had 5, and my smear was also low grade changes with high risk HPV. My understanding is that biopsies will be taken if the gyno’s visual assessment doesn’t match the smear to make sure you aren’t given any unnecessary treatment (so in my case my cervix looked fine until she applied the vinegar and then several white areas appeared, she then biopsied all of them to check nothing was missed). You are very welcome to look through my previous posts to read about my experience - my gyno looked visibly concerned when she did my colposcopy and my notes didn’t look great, so I felt very distressed too. The wait is long and it’s psychologically rough, but my biopsy results showed CIN 1,2 and 3, not actual cancer, and I’m going to be treated in 2 weeks time with a LLETZ. It’s natural that we think the worst but statistically the numbers are on our side and it’s much more likely it will be cell changes than cancer. At this point I’d really recommend you stay away from Google and from the CC side of this forum and try to see if there are any lifestyle changes you could make or supplements you could try which might make you feel a bit more in control of the situation (this is just what helped me to cope with the wait, not saying at all you need to do any of these things but it’s just what made me feel like I was actively fighting somehow, it took my mind off doomscrolling about what my results could be when in complete honesty I didn’t really have a clue). The Jo’s helpline is brilliant if you need calm facts and clarification, they helped me so much in the early days of my investigations. You will have your results soon and a plan if you need one - it’s so hard I know but you will get there and it’s much more likely than not that things will be ok. Hugs x

2 Likes

Thank you so much for responding. she didn’t really say much. i did say to her do you think it’s cancer and she said no she’s taken the biopsies because if it is high grade changes rather the low grade she wouldn’t want to wait 6 month for the next smear she would want to treat it. i walked out of their shell shocked as i truly thought in my head i wouldn’t need a biopsy and everything would be fine. Silly really as the smear had already detected changes so it’s stands to reason they would want to check. The waiting is going to be horrendous i know as it’s constantly on my mind. Really hope it’s nothing or something that’s easily treatable. Good luck with the next procedure and i’ll read through your posts xx

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I’m looking forward to just getting it done now in all honesty! I completely feel you, I think unfortunately my gyno started my appointment by trying to put me at ease by saying “oh we’ll just have a Quick Look up there, I’m sure it’ll be fine as you only have low grade changes in your smear, you have no symptoms and you’re very fit and well” which is why it hit me like a train when she suddenly started taking a load of biopsies. I was expecting to just go home and forget about it. I felt the exact same way as you, but genuinely now I know that there is something a bit more serious going on but that is very treatable I’m glad she was so thorough. For me I took some comfort in reading the statistics on the Jo’s website, sadly there will always be outliers but the majority of results are just cell changes (which while still very distressing are highly treatable). The forum is a great place to come and vent with people who understand, with a bit of anonymity if you prefer, but once I learned more about HPV etc I actually found once I spoke more openly about it with close friends and family so many people have had experiences just like we’ve had - you might find this helpful too, people close to you may have also been through this and may be able to help you through it too. Sending you kind thoughts, this stuff really isn’t easy to navigate at all but you’re not alone.

1 Like