What is clear margins after trachelectomy

Hi all just a wondering what clear margins Is after daughter having a trachelectomy and separate lymph node removal which was negative and op went well we thought that it was just going to be ongoing check ups after that but dr said at hosp that she will be back In two weeks to discuss results and something about clear margins. Just panicking as didn’t know there was going to be another result appt but can understand to make sure everything has gone but was t explained before operation surgeon said that after surgery it would be follow up appts and no more surgery. Is there certain size margins which gives the all clear please can someone explain. Thank you

Hi there. This is completely standard and all of us girls had to wait for these results after surgery.

Because they leave the uterus in place, they have to make sure that they have removed all of the cancer and CIN. They will test what they removed, identifying the cancer/CIN and then Identifying that these cancerous cells are surrounded by healthy tissue.

Was it Squamas cell that your daughter had or Adenocarcinoma ?

Either way it is very unlikely that they won't get clear margins. They are so scrupulous about who can have this surgery. 

When I went for my results I was told that there were NO cancer cells in what they removed during the trach. I just had CIN 3 in the sample. It turns out they removed/destroyed all of the cancer in my previous Lletz. 

how is your daughter doing with recovery? Xx

Thank you so much Nellie for your quick reply my daughter had well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix 1b1 Her surgery was on Monday and she has been amazing she came out last night from hospital had catheter In a bit longer but mangaged to go without it yesterday so was sent home.  She has healed great from the lymph node removal 2 weeks ago.  From having the trachelectomy done on Monday she is brilliant walking around ok testing also and feels ok in herself and being really positive I am so proud of her.