Treatment preparation

Hi Shammy I am currently sitting waiting on my MRI for my brachytherapy on Friday.

All external radiotherapy done now on the last hurdle.

Hope all goes well today. The scans are fine no pain involved

Good luck x

2 Likes

@AMF Fantastic!!! Well done, youā€™re a trooper!

Canā€™t wait to get started. How are you feeling about the Brachytherapy?

To be honest Iā€™ve not really thought about it, I decided to concentrate on the 5 weeks of treatment and not think about it until nearer the time.

Now that itā€™s only a few days away Iā€™m starting to get my head round it. It is a very important part of the treatment, I met with doctor and brachytherapy nurse today and they talked me through it. The way I see it is Iā€™m not the first they have done it hundreds of times and everything seems pretty well organised so Iā€™m just going to go with the flow

Will post my experience warts and all when done.

Shammy the 5 weeks have just flown by I was very nervous at the start but I can honestly say it was absolutely fine. You have an almost identical diagnosis to me so fingers :crossed_fingers:itā€™ll be similar for you.

Good luck xx

3 Likes

Aw brilliant! Iā€™ve looked at it but to be honest I was in that much pain in July that it couldnt possibly be anywhere that so I have the same approach as you I think!

Iā€™ll look forward to reading that x

1 Like

My CNS rang me back, bless her sheā€™s lovely! So theyd rather I didnt have both scans in one day because of what theyā€™ll be injecting. But they still want to do the form filling explaining part of the planning. Also the internal exam she didnt do last time cause I was bleedingā€¦

So the planning scan will be done on Friday morning instead. Bit of practice running back and forth to the city I suppose!

1 Like

What a long day, but very productive and 1 step furtherā€¦

So PET scan was absolutely fine to do. The worst part was the wait after the injection. My arse was killing me lying so still for 50minsā€¦

By the time I got to my planning appointment my Oncologist and another doctor could see my scan pictures. She was very confident Nodes are clear but obviously still have to wait on official Radiologist report, she will ring me as soon as I get it. The good news is the inflammation and stenosis have reduced significantly since my MRI. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve had no painā€¦ result!

Back on Friday for the Planning Scanā€¦ but basically Iā€™m ready and good to go!!! She Hopeā€™s to give me a start date next week.

2 Likes

Great news! Not long to go now!

1 Like

Thinking of you for tomorrow - hope everything goes well. On the home stretch now x

Pleased to hear youā€™ve had your PET scan now and that it looks like things havenā€™t spread to any lymph nodes - thatā€™s very positive news indeed! Hope all goes well with your planning scan tomorrow and that they can give you a date for treatment. It really does help once things actually start moving and you donā€™t feel like youā€™re just sitting there with your thumb up your arse (excuse the vulgarity!).

Jenny x

1 Like

@jd140589 a lady after my own heart with the vulgarity, sometimes this situation calls for it.
:kissing_heart::wink:

1 Like

Never a truer word spoken! Iā€™ve certainly made good use of the more uncouth parts of my vocabulary this past few weeks :joy: x

1 Like

Oh believe me as have I !! Like today for example when they did the tattoo on my pelvic bone areaā€¦ I let out a #$%*! Thankfully the radiographers laughed. Whoops!

1 Like

Thanks. After a shakey start I had to have platlet transfusion as numbers were so low then bloods to see if they had risen to an acceptable level before they would go ahead. Thankfully they came up to 83 so given the go ahead.
The treatment was much easier than I imagined. Went very well minimum pain and discomfort.
Home with pain killers.
Further treatments on Wednesday and Thursday

2 Likes

So pleased it went well for you in the end and wasnā€™t uncomfortable - thatā€™s certainly reassuring. How are you feeling today and in general? X

:joy: I imagine theyā€™ve heard it all before, bless them! Iā€™ve honestly been amazed at the cheery disposition of all the medical professionals Iā€™ve dealt with. Theyā€™re a different breed of human.

1 Like

I was given painkillers to take home, I wasnā€™t in any pain but was advised to take then for first 24 hours. So I took one at 9pm last night slept really well, then took another at 9am as advised but have ended up feeling really dizzy and light headed. The painkiller is oxycodone which is really strong I think too strong for me so I wont be taking any more as I felt better yesterday with no painkillers.

Procedure was a lot easier than I had imagined, so I know now what to expect when I go back on Wednesday.

How are you getting on?

2 Likes

@AMF glad it wasnt a bad experience except for the strong pain killers!

Iā€™ve found I can react odd with pain killers, I cant tolerate cocodamol at any strength but can take paracetamol and codeine separately and be fineā€¦ so strange as itā€™s essentially the same thing! Im an odd person :unamused:

Been having an odd day, a mix of a busy week with a PET and planning scan and running around today doing bits and pieces and now my lower back aches and Iā€™m bleeding slightly. Also had a dose of the runs this morning and can feel an ulcer starting in my mouth. Need to take care a bit more I think :woman_facepalming:

Yes youā€™ve had a busy week so you need to rest and look after yourself. You want to be as healthy as possible when your treatment starts.

The painkillers are now starting to wear off thank god ill just be using paracetamol if needed from now on.

My next 2 brachys are Wednesday and Thursday now that I know what to expect I am feeling pretty confident it will be ok I was really worried but itā€™s not that bad perfectly doable.

The great thing about this website is that there is always someone available for help and advice at all stages of the process.

Let us know when you get your start date.

Take care xx

1 Like

Snap - one of the painkillers Iā€™ve been given is oxycodone, too. Itā€™s fine to take in the evening and actually helps me sleep really well, but if I take it in the morning or during the day it makes me feel really squiffy and turns me into a total space monkey, so Iā€™m avoiding taking it other than at bedtime.

So pleased to hear youā€™re doing well and havenā€™t struggled too much with your treatment. Only a few days until youā€™re finished! That must be a relief.

Iā€™m in the day unit currently having my second round of chemo. The first round was rough - didnā€™t get the pain relief right and it compounded the side effects, so the first week was pretty horrid if Iā€™m honest. Once I started to improve I found I bounced back pretty strongly, though - been able to get loads of exercise done this past week and have felt very normal. Iā€™m not getting my hopes up but Iā€™m in a lot less pain to start with for this next round and I have decent pain relief in place if I do need it, so keeping everything crossed that it might not hit quite as hard as last time.

But if it does, it does. I survived it once, Iā€™ll survive it again! X

1 Like

Fingers :crossed_fingers:the second lot will be easier than the first. I was terrified when I got the first dose of chemo as I just didnā€™t know how I was going to react thankfully I was fine so I was alot more positive getting my second and subsequent doses.

Yes the painkillers ended up being a pain it was the same feeling as stepping off a whaltzer at the fun fareā€‹:rofl::rofl::rofl:. I couldnā€™t even walk down the stairs. This week I might take it in the evening as you say it worked really well and I had a great nightā€™s sleep.

The weeks will fly in I still canā€™t Iā€™m nearly done.

You take care and take it easy xx

1 Like