"Test of cure" procedure?

"

By way of background, I had my first smear test aged 25 and it was clear. My second one aged 28 found severe dyskariosis with high-risk HPV. I then had a colposcopy in December which found CIN2 and a LLETZ which found CIN3 in January.

I went for my check up smear last week and got the results today. The letter says that my sample was HPV negative and that no further tests were done on it because it was therefore highly unlikely I had any abnormal cells. My next test is due in a year.

I'm pleased I'm now HPV negative - however, because I did have CIN3 six months ago, shouldn't they also test my sample for abnormal cells? I think at my check up smear test the nurse told me that that this would happen. I've also recently moved GP surgeries and am concerned that maybe they didn't realise my sample was for someone who'd recently had LLETZ and just treated it as they would a standard smear test.

Should I ring my GP and have another test? Or is it just that the protocol is different in different parts of the country?

Hi there lovely,

Im due my six month smear test and test of cure in September, following the same diagnosis as yourself. I have been told that they will do a smear test to check for abnormal cells, alongside a test of cure to test for the HPV. Have already confirmed with my surgery that this is what will be happening. Maybe call your gp to check it out. Hope this helps a bit and hope you get sorted x 

So I rang my GP and the nurse called me back to explain. For anyone who is interested, my area (Bristol) is currently part of a pilot study where they are just testing for HPV after treatment. If I had been HPV positive they would also have tested the sample for abnormal cells too. Since I was negative they didn't test the cells, but I will have another test in a year's time. Having annual tests seems like a good idea to me, but it does seem that not everyone who treated me during the process was up to speed on the exact details of the pilot study and what the procedure is!

Thanks for your reply Lornie38 and i hope all goes well for you in September!

Hi Helena,

Thats  good news at least you had it explained to you . I hope all goes well for you. And thanks for your good wishes, I hope so too.. Getting a bit anxious again . X

hi I am in Norwich we are on the sale scheme had my results Fri all neg for hpv so cells not looked at x

Hi there, I don't know if anyone still reads this thread, however I had the same confusion regarding the test of cure process after CIN3 found and LLETZ done - confirmed CIN3 with unclear margins (first smear at 24).

I went for my test of cure smear at my local GP last Thursday and awaiting results, but I was shocked to hear that if my body has managed to fight the HPV virus, then they won't look at my cells (pilot study area). This really worries me as the damage has already been done in my cells, and following treatment I was told I had unclear margins and would probably need more LLETZ. The nurse was also surprised at this and didn't seem to know the process. Why would they not check the cells in mine and many other cases after potentially missing CIN3? Hoping someone can give some insight or experiences. 

Thanks.