Stage 3 with paraortic lymph node

New Here from the USA. I start radiation and chemo therapy on 3/27 then 4 high dose brachytherapy. Was told b/c of lymph nodes my doctors highly recommend 4 rounds of the stronger chemo at the end of standard treatment, they say they have no studies to show the extra chemo will help but they highly think it will decrease the odds of reoccurrence. My tumor is 7cm covers my entire cervix, stage 3 with paraortic lymph node involved. The doc who will do brachytherapy said I still have a chance to live my dream of cutting my grass at 102. My great grandmother lived to be 102. What do my teal sisters in the UK think? Can this really be beat? I have no other health problems, yet anyways. 

Yes! Of course it can be beaten! :-)

Brachytherapy is radiotherapy, not chemo. Are you having four extra chemo at the end as well as four brachy?

Wishing you the best of luck with it all, and the grass-cutting :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

I was stage 3b/c - I also had a large tumour (10cm), spread to uterus and parametrium and multiple positive lymph nodes up to and including my para aortic. When I met the oncologist the first time, she assured me that they could get rid of it. I had the chemo cocktail first (they hoped it would stop the spread), followed by the chemorads and 4 brachytherapy. The cocktail (carboplatin plus taxol) shrunk things a bit, but the radiation really did the trick for me. My brachy was done in amongst my chemorads (weeks 2, 3 and 4), and by the 4th treatment, they could no longer see the tumour. 

I felt rather terrible throughout the treatment, but started feeling better within days of my final radiation. They said that they were very pleased with my response to the treatment, and I was declared cancer free at my 3 month follow up.

Best of luck to you during your treatment and in your many years of yard work to come!

Hi kittywitty I’ve just come across your post  

hope you’re doing ok.  I was also given the extra four chemo that have been recommended for you after completing chemoradiotherapy and brachytherapy.  My oncologist said there had been some successful trials in the US with the extra chemo so I have my fingers crossed it will work :).

Ill find out in May.  

All the best with your treatment x

I’m also stage 3 Adenocarcinoma with  paraortic involvement. 21 total nodes removed with 2 being positive. The largest was 4 centimeters. I had a Di Vinci Radical Hysterectomy in 2015.

Of course radiation and chemotherapy were suggested, but I refused.

I am comfortable with my decision, and so far, no tumors have been detected. 

As of yet, I haven’t met online or in person another stage 3.

I never thought about beating cancer, I simply accepted that I had it and decided to live the best life I could. If I make 2 more years without anymore tumors, I will have made it to Radical Remission.

I don’t know what it’s like to go through chemo/radiation, but I hope it went well for you, and to all the girls who replied to your post, I hope we can all become friends.

There are many things I experience that can’t be discussed with someone who’s never been diagnosed. Lymphodema, constantly getting colds...etc...

Please update with how you are doing, and best wishes to all.

Hi all

I too was diagnosed with stage 3b cc may17. Only 2cm size tumour full thickness of cervix into the lining parametrium and only 1 5mm lymph node. 25 radiotherapy 4/5 chemotherapy and 3 brachytherapy 3 monthly check ups had a scare August 18 biopsy taken to be safe turned out to be a Pollop (I think that's what was said). 

Last check up Feb19 all seems well. Still get tired now experiencing sore breast and sometimes have days when I'm really tired and other days when I'm not so tired. Also suffer with loose bowels (not so good). My consultant mentioned earlier if there's no recurrence in the first 2 years it is unlikely to come back. 

I wish you you all well on your journey. Keep positive and stay strong. 

Xxx

Stage 3c1 here, halfway through 5 chemo with 25 radiation and 3 brachytherapy. I'm losing my hearing as a side effect of the chemo, and it is said to be permanent. Besides that, the nausea had me hospitalized for the past week, as none of the meds were working for me. I've always had a sensitive stomach, and got very nauseous in other times in life, so this isn't a surprise.

Two more rounds of chemo left, and I cannot wait to eat like a person again. 

1 Like

How are you now? Great I hope!!