Stage 2b treatment

I was recently diagnosed with stage 1B cervical cancer. I had a ct prior to my radical hysterectomy that did not show any spread of the cancer. After the surgery, the tissue came back showing very small areas of cancer to the parametrium (no lymph node involvement). I am now to undergo 25 radiation treatments with weekly cisplatin treatments. Has anyone has a similar experience? I am reading the treatment for 2b is typically chemo/rad. Thank you!

2 Likes

@Kellybug221

Welcome to the club no one wants to be part off. I am so sorry you’ve got this awful disease!

Whilst I am stage 3 what you are about to go through is the same treatment I did (more or less))

I had to do 25 rounds of radiation along with weekly chemo.

https://forum.jostrust.org.uk/t/treatment-diary-wrap-up/58750

This is my overview of the treatment. It is very doable, lovely. Just remember to be kind to yourself

I am sure some hope stage 2 ladies will pop in to give their support x

Peachy

1 Like

Thank you for the support! How far out of treatment are you? How are you doing?

12 weeks now and it all feels like some kinds very bad dream. I’ve just come back from 2 day break in London which means like a pipe dream during treatment

I am doing good. I am really having to do a lot of strength training as I am a lot weaker. Other than that I am not in any more pain, bowel/bladder are all good as long as I start away from trigger food eg eggs make me a little icky when they didn’t use to.

I have my 3 monthly check up scans on Monday but don’t find out results until 20th but I am hopeful for good progress!

If you need anything this forum is good and very supportive xx

I’m so glad to hear you are doing well. Sending you positive vibes

Hi @Kellybug221 I was diagnosed as stage 2B and had 5 chemo (cisplatin) and 25 radiotherapy followed by 3 brachytherapy. Do you have a date for starting treatment? I found the treatment really manageable and was lucky not to have too many issues xx

1 Like

Hello @Sha159 !! I actually start this Monday. I’m very nervous but have found great comfort in this website.

Any side effects you still struggle with? Did you have surgery at all? I’m nervous bc I had a hyster so won’t have those organs to help “protect” my bladder and bowel.

2 Likes

You will be glad to finally get started. I found the wait between the tests and treatment starting tough but like you found this forum so helpful! I was so anxious on my first day of treatment but the nurses were all lovely and it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. The 5 weeks actually go by quite quickly.

No I didn’t have any surgery. I don’t really have any side effects now. My bladder was a bit weak initially but I just did pelvic floor exercises and changed to decaf coffee which helped.

I hope it all goes well on Monday and for your treatment. Keep us updated on how you get on. You’ve got this! :heartpulse: xx

1 Like

Hi I’m a stage 2B lady. I had squamous cell carcinoma. I’m sorry you had to have surgery first, they put me at 1a1 after biopsies but up to stage 2B after the scan so hysterectomy for me got cancelled quickly. The treatment is all very surreal, you just go to autopilot and go to your appointments and do as you’re told. I’d say the first three weeks you manage, your bowels will have a mind of their own so be prepared for that! You’ll be asked to drink lots of water before radiotherapy so don’t worry about protecting your bowels, your bladder will do that. I was holding about a litre a time, so get practicing if you can. The last two weeks were the hardest for me, tiredness kicks in. But you’ll do it. I promise you, you’ll find strength you didn’t know you had. The brachytherapy- well, just don’t worry about it. It’s got to be done and once it’s done you’re home and recovering. I’m coming up six month post treatment. I got my NED, and I’d say I’m just tired. It’s winter that’s not helping, I get pins and needles in my feet, and lots of wind. Very ladylike.
You’ve already gone through a lot, so this next part is doable. Just be kind to yourself xx

4 Likes

Thank you ladies for the support! I won’t need internal radiation since my margins were “widely negative”.
I’m told they removed all the cancer and this is just to get any cells that may be lingering. My doc calls it an “insurance policy”.
I keep forgetting the fact I’ll enter menopause as well. So much happening at once. But beating this is most important.
Again, thank you xx

5 Likes

Hi @Kellybug221 i am stage 2B which took my hysterectomy off the table. The parametrial invasion was very early detected in my MRI, but didn’t show on my PET. I started my first day of chemo yesterday. Was supposed to start radiation before chemo yesterday, but the machine was down and I didn’t end up getting radiation yesterday. Was very annoyed that it was off to a bad start, but the chemo was easy, but long. Going this afternoon for my first radiation treatment. Good luck to you and I’m always here if you want to compare notes :smiling_face:. I will end with 4 treatments of Brachy after the 25 radiation and 5 low dose chemos.

1 Like

@KHicks good to see you’ve started treatment. That said sorry it’s been frustrating as you don’t need this on top of everything else.

Wait until you are told your radiation appt is running late because they are fixing a cupboard :joy::joy::joy::joy: oh how I can laugh about it now

1 Like

@KHicks good luck to you! Please feel free to reach out to me as well. I started with chemo and radiation Monday. Today was day 3 of radiation. I won’t require brachy per my rad onc. It’s been going ok, just some fatigue.

2 Likes

Thanks ladies! The best part was I did the cold capping. It was quite torturous yet my husband and I turned it into a comedy show and we laughed through the whole thing. The cap swallowed my head and pushed my face all forward and squishy. And boy does -35 degrees Fahrenheit burn! Luckily it made things go fast because my hubby had to change the cap every 20 minutes. I couldn’t hear anything if I was chewing :woman_facepalming:t2: lol @Justpeachythanks your diary helped me a lot in expectations, but couldn’t believe the machine broke on my first day! @Kellybug221 good luck with everything and of course reach out whenever :smiling_face:

1 Like

@KHicks oh my goodness!! That’s too cute. I was told with cisplatin I shouldn’t lose my hair. It may thin a bit but I have tons of hair, so I prob won’t even notice (I hope)

1 Like

@Kellybug221 I was also told I wouldn’t lose my hair, but I have baby fine hair and not a lot of it, so hoping to prevent any thinning at all :smiling_face:

2 Likes

@KHicks absolutely! And sometimes taking control when we have none is a big deal!

1 Like

I am 6 years cancer free with your stage cc. I got through it ok. Frightening to begin with but that was the waiting for results. Be kind to yourself and rest. You got this xx :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Ok ladies…
What did you find worked best for nausea? Week one down, but my appetite and nausea has me struggling? :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Ginger biscuits. And because my diet was so poor I bought some baby rusks to nibble on. I thought the vitamins in them might help. But also tell your nurse as you can get other anti sickness meds. I was on three different types! Was still sick though, but it meant I could keep food down xx

2 Likes