Stage 1b2 post radical hysterectomy

Prior to my op, I was estimated stage 2A and therefore my consultant advised that I should have a radical hysterectomy with removal of ovaries and lymph nodes.

I’ve had a few problems since my op, mainly an infection in the lymph node fluid which seems to be getting better.

I received my post op results on Wednesday, 3 weeks post op. Not with my consultant but another doctor. She advised that when they have checked they have staged it at 1b2 and they had enough margins and nothing in the lymph nodes. So no further treatment. Will go to 3 mthly checks which do not include a scan and just a look and if I feel different.

First of all I was elated, however I am aware that if we had known it was more than 4 cm prior to op, that I would of had chemoradio and was also expecting that I wld need this anyway as an insurance policy. I don’t know what the histology report said but the fact that the tumour was more than what they thought, I assume that it wld be even more so to have the follow up treatment? Does anyone else have any thoughts on this or have gone through this experience?

Aug 16 - abnormal smear and thickening of the lining of the womb.

Sept 16 - Colposcopy showing abnormal CIN 3, biopsies taken.

Sept 16 - MRI, cystocopy, lettz, hystercope under general.

23.9.16 - from the above estimated stage 2a.

18.10.16 - radical hysterectomy, bilateral dissection of lymph nodes and removal of ovaries.

9.11.16 - advised stage 1b2 with no further treatment.

Hi Johanna :-)

First let me say that because this is such a specific forum, it does not have millions of participants all around the world, so yes, sometimes you might have to wait a little while for a response. Also, I think I am correct in saying that because of some serious spam attacks relatively recently, new threads aren't posted up immediately, they get vetted by a volunteer and this might be slower in the middle of the night or at a weekend. I check the forum every single day and your posts weren't up this time yesterday, so please excuse us.

Your post is a little confusing. It seems that you were initially staged 2a and were downgraded to a 1b2 following a histology report. This means that the tumour was actually LESS than what they thought.

My own situation was the reverse; I was initially staged at 1b2 so had a hysterectomy. My tumour turned out to be LARGER and so I was restaged as 2b and therefore went on to have chemo-radiotherapy and brachytherapy.

I hope that helps, but if you have any further questions please do add them below, because new posts added to an existing thread go up on the forum immediately without any delays.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Johanna

All I can add is that I had 1b1 and the margins were clear with nothing in the lymph nodes and I didnt need any further treatment which is normal in those cases.  However, I did have a couple of scans as part of my continuing check ups - from what I read on here the post op check ups do vary quite a bit.

You could always discuss it with your CN so she can explain why it is done that way.

Hugs

Cheryl,xx

Thank you for your reply.  When I replied to myself was checking if I posted correctly has never used before.

After the first minor op and MRI, my consultant thought it was 2a.  He thought the tumor was 3.5 cm which indicates A.  He advised any tumours over 4 cm would be classed as a b.  But initially was staged at 2 because he thought it had spread which is then classified by the number. 

Post surgery for radical op, they advised that it hadn't spread has they thought therefore classed stage 1 but the tumor was actually 4.5 cm and therefore B2.  So just wanted to see what others experiences were post the op.  Did many  only have the op or are many having the chemoradio after.  Will confirm with my doctor on Friday but wanted to have some more background before discussing.  He is an extremely good doctor ans will accept what he advises, I appreciate every case is also different but thought always better to do some further research ask all doctors many doctors have different opinions.

in relation to your follow up checks, did they scan you each check or annually etc.

thank you xxxx

Thank you very much for your feedback.

its reassuring that your surgery removed the cancer without further treatment and you are a few years post the surgery which is fantastic.

How often did you have the scans post the surgery and was these MRI? I think my main concern is that I don't want to miss anything esp if there is a reoccurrence.  Not that I'm expecting that to happen but just now want to be on the safe side, more cautious than I was previously. Don't want to feel uneasy post the checks because it's more of a verbal catch up rather than knowing all is ok, if that makes sense. 

Thank you

jo

Hi Jo :-)

I think it's fair to say that most cases are treated either surgically or with chemo-radiation and it's not awfully common to have both because most of us are cured after the first, correctly prescribed treatment. I hope that helps.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thank you, yes that does help.  I assumed I would require both but as you say normally one or the other.

thanks for taking time to reply.

thanks

jo

Hi Claire2111,

i am similar to you (kind of) apart from the confusing staging. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op with everything removed, I was staged at 1b1. It sounds like it have a couple of tumours but like you've said the margins were clear so hopefully that is it. I have only had this confirmed on the phone as I called the ward and got my consultant and he told me but I am nervous as he didn't ask my name! I see him on Monday. My understanding is the big deal is the clear margins and if that's what you have its fab news! 

can I ask about your node infection? I am so swollen and paranoid about this, have a docs app tonight. 

Stay healthy :)