Stage 1B1 Recovery Questions

Hi all. Just some background…

Age 53, had radical hysterectomy and lymphs out in March, with everything clear. Then by June I had 25 radiotherapies. In July I had 2 brachy as outpatient, last one being on 18 July.

I have struggled to find out about side effects for brachy as an outpatient. Are they the same as an inpatient, given that only had 2 sessions?

Reason for asking is that I am pretty sure that the after effects that I now have are due to this, namely, feeling down below, quite heavy, discomfort around the pelvis but mainly in the front where lets say the catheter was put in. I have had a urine test and no infection there but I cannot seem to shift the pain at the front area that is just below where the hysterectomy vertical scar ends. Anyone else have this type of feeling?

Perhaps I just pushed myself too much after the hysterectomy and its just my body saying to take it easier at the moment. I am thinking its a combination of the operation plus the brachy together.

Any thoughts from others? Thank you

Hi desmiffy and welcome

2017 I had similar treatment to you except my hysterectomy was done laparoscopically. Like you I just had 2 short sessions of brachy in outpatients.

I haven’t experienced the type of discomfort/pain you describe. However, I did take things very easy for quite a while after my treatment on account of various side effects. You are only one month post treatment; it’s very early days so, if possible, try slowing down and see if it helps.

I don’t know much about the possible side effects of an open hysterectomy but I am aware that radiotherapy can lead to a number of side effects collectively referred to as ‘pelvic radiation disease’. There is some information about pelvic radiotherapy, including some signposting, on this website - see following link:

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/living-with-cervical-cancer/prd/symptoms/nerve-damage

x

Thanks Jazza for replying.

I think its a case of some side effects causing nerve pain and discomfort. I do get some aching down my legs as well, more so at night, but during the day too. Its just the fullness in ´the front´ that I want to disappear.

I am going to take it easy for a while to see if things calm down. I am due back to the consultant and gynocologist in september and as you say, its not that long really after treatment, but you can´t help but worry when originally I didn´t have any symptoms of CC and it was only picked up via a smear.

How long after your 2 brachy did you take things easy for? I have a physical job / business of my own, however I am lucky that I don´t have to rush back at the moment. I have felt more fatigued since the brachy that I did all the way through radiotherapy, where my only real side effect was severe diahorrea.

Rgds

Hi desmiffy

It very unsettling to be diagnosed with moderately advanced cancer ‘out of the blue’. Mine was preceded by symptoms which only started when my tumour was nearly 4cm! One minute I was fine and then suddenly one day I developed a persistent watery discharge which, to my mind, was so innocuous I ignored it for about 3 months before seeing the GP!

I took things very easy for about 4 months after my brachy, mainly because I was debilitated with severe back pain due to musculo-skeletal issues and, as I learned much later, compression fractures in my lumbar vertebrae. Luckily committing to physio enabled me to eventually get on top of it.

I then started to make plans to get back to my full time job which involved a 3 hour commute. However ongoing bladder problems resulting in multiple UTIs, bowel problems plus lymphoedema which has affected my mobility led me to re-evaluate my life. I ended up retiring earlier than planned.

Everyone’s different, but a common theme is for us to put undue pressure on ourselves to pick up from where we left off, within a short space of time. Whilst some seem to more or less achieve this others don’t; it’s an individual thing. A radical hysterectomy plus chemo-radiotherapy is a lot of punishment for the body (and mind) so make the most of not having to rush back to work, to give yourself the best chance making a good recovery.

Might be worth getting some blood tests for your fatigue; it turned out I had a vitamin B12 deficiency and I was prescribed a course of injections. Vitamin D deficiency can also lead to fatigue.

Although you have a follow up appointment next month you could call your CNS before then to discuss the your concerns. On one occasion I was offered a very prompt MRI scan when I had some worrying symptoms.

x