Should I be concerned?

Hi

I'm 37 and I usually have spotting before my period, sometimes this can go on for 7-8 days until my period actually arrives (although usually it's only 3-4 days).  My period will then last about 5 days.  So I can be bleeding some months for around 10 days.  If I have quite a few days of spotting before my period, then my period tend to be lighter.  So the months when I've spotted for 7 days before my actual period starts, my period will be lighter.  If I only spot for a couple of days beforehand, then my period will be the usual heavy, medium, light.

I went to the doctors and she said that this could just be how my periods are (I think this doctor was newly qualified).  She did an internal examination and took some swabs.  All the swabs came back clear, but she said it looked like I have cervical ectropion and I should probably go back in 6 months to have it re-checked.  

I have had a full count blood test and a transvaginal ultrasound, all normal.  But I just can't help but worry that what if it isn't cervical ectropion, and it's actually cervical cancer.  

I just went to see my doctor (she's quite a senior doctor) and explained everything, and she said she wasn't worried at all.  My smear tests are all up to date.  They've always been clear (touch wood!).  My last smear was in April 2017, so I'm not due another until April next year. She said cervical ectropion was absolutely nothing to worry about.

She said if I was worried, I could book in with the nurse and she would check my cervix.  I said I was worried that what if it was cervical cancer and not ectropion.  My doctor said that they are completely different, and I think she said that cervical cancer is on the inside of the cervix, ectropion is on the outside.  So you wouldn't be able to see cervical cancer.  Is this true?

I don't want to waste the nurse's time if I'm just being paranoid, as I do get quite anxious about my health.  Do you think this all sounds normal, or should I go to see the nurse?