Recently diagnosed with high risk HPV. I am absolutely devastated. Please is there any advice out there

Hi everyone. I'm 26 and I have been recently diagnosed with high risk HPV, although I currently don't have any pre cancer cells. I am devastated to say the least. I feel like I have been passed a sentence that I must live with for the rest of my life. It is all I think about lately. My nurse said there is nothing that can be done in terms of treatment, I should try not to worry about it and I should try to put it to the back of my mind. But I'm struggling with the idea of how to live a normal life now. I don't mean to sound over dramatic but I'm just so gutted. Does anyone have any advice on how I should go on now? My nurse did her best to try and explain things to me as best as she could but I've been left with nearly no information from the call I had other than an they'll see me again in 3 years and to try and be healthy. I stuggle with that idea as I already live a healthy lifestyle. Are there things to be aware of now? Do people still have healthy relationships and sex? I'm just so lost right now

I think you may be worrying too much, to be honest. HPV mostly clears up by itself, just eat lots of antioxidant rich foods like spinach and red berries (I have HPV and was just at a colposcopy appt today, so that's verbatim what the nurse said). Tons of people over the world get it and never develop cancer or anything else. It's incredibly common and not that big of a deal, almost like a flu virus!

Don't let it get to you too much, there's nothing that you can do anyway and in a year it'll probably be out of your system. 

Yes you do still have healthy relationships and sex. 

Hiya, I had a smear test done about 10 years ago and it came back as abnormal. I panicked like mad, I had a letter that said I needed to go back for another test in 3 months, I went back for that it was fine then I had to do another in 6 months after that then that one was okay, then another 6 months and then that also was all good so I went back into the cycle of every 3 years. The reason mine came back as abnormal was because HPV was present. It did clear up by itself as generally most HPV's do. If you are still concerned I suggest that you speak to your doctor or a nurse about it 

HI N23 

I was diagnosed with HPV three years ago, and I too was very concerned and upset when I was told. I had never heard of it before and was worried about cancer risks etc. 

After looking into it though I can say I am much more positive about it. 

There is some evidence to suggest that although you carry it througout your life you can fight it to a point where it lies dormant and can re occur in waves, like a coldsore virus. 

There is also things you can do to boost your immune system and keep it at bay so to speak, google AHCC/ vitamin C for HPV treatment, there is eveidence of a few clinical trials that have eliminated the virus in some women. 

In some ways knowledge is power and you know now. do the treatment reserach, look after yourself, eat well and exercise and that's all you can do ! 

and remember that although HPV is the cause of many cases of cervical cancer. not everyone who has HPV will develop cervical cancer, actually far from it ! recent research suggests that 80 percent of people have or have had this virus.

I am going through an all round shake up and health journey in my life at the moment and aiming to treat my HPV is part of it - I have also asked my partner to take AHCC and Vit C with me so we arent reinfecting eachother (if thats even a thing! i'm unsure but what do we have to loose) and we have a sex life just as before.

I have'nt thought previously how I would tackle the converstaion with a new partner - I guess that's up to you and whatever you are comfortable with. 

I am very open with my friends and collegues about my smear and HPV diagnosis because I dont think its talked about enough and you would be amazed at how many people say 'me too' when you are brave enough to talk about it. 

Potencially 80% of the people you know could have/or had this too !

So when you think about it like that - it's a little less scary and isolating.

I encourage you to feel as positive as you can about it - research helped me :)

Faye 

I'm new too this page,I'm 20 An had my first smear and I carry 3 types of high risk hpv an I was having a break down but your comment has honestly helped me so much and I just want to thank you for that and I will be taking everything you just said on board xxx

I am the same I'm 20 just had my first smear an it's come back that I carry 3 types of high risk HPV an I honestly don't know what to do they said to go back in a year but I'm the same I feel so lost 

I had type 3 HPV (a low risk one) but I didn't know this until I went for my follow up smear and the nurse really looked down and me and told me that the reason the previous smear had failed was due to me having HPV. You can always go and speak to your doctor/nurse Heather97 if you want to about your concerns

I’m also 26 years old . I just had the smear last month and it was positive with high risk and borderline changes. I was so scared until now. To be honest I wish I could end my life now.

I was raped and now find I have HPV 18 the high risk one that causes cancer I am devastated too. I have been suicidal but your positive commenst help

Me too as if that wasn't bad enough I was devastated again by this hpv and feel so unlucky. The comments of others help though. I had no idea about hpv before I really think it would help if people were given more information about it with the Pap smears etc. 

I agree Kerterah - all it would take would be an information leaflet in the letter inviting us to attend screening explaining that screening has now switched to hpv first. A little bit of clear communication would go a long way.  Those ladies on this post who feel so low - talk to someone about how you're feeling; Jo's helpline, MacMillan, your gp/practice nurse or a counsellor. You are most definitely not alone in feeling shocked but there will come a time when you will feel better informed & less isolated - your life is so important and definitely worth living - the new testing is intended to save more lives - I have now reached the stage where I'm grateful that someone cares enough to make sure that I'm monitored and that I have become better informed about my own health. 

Identifying who has high risk HPV (HR-HPV) enables the health service to determine which patients have a risk for cervical cancer.  By offering these patients more frequent checks, more cancers should be prevented or detected earlier than with the previous cell based screening programme.  It is estimated that HPV primary screening will prevent 500 more cases of cervical cancer pa in England, in the coming years:

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2019/01/24/preventing-cervical-cancer-how-a-screening-switch-and-hpv-vaccination-should-cut-cancer-rates/

x

I'm 25 and just had my first smear and have been diagnosed with High Risk HPV but no abnormal cell changes? I have to return for another smear in 12 months time. What does this mean? I've been told by my GP that your body is likely to fight this virus off on its own and can take up to about 2 years to do so! I'm just so worried and feel so ashamed that I have been diagnosed with this... I just feel somewhere I must have done something wrong? Does anyone else feel this way? Feeling so alone at the moment and so worried :( 

Hello Chloee951

I can recommend Jo's helpline if you need someone to talk to - they are open today until 1pm and then again after 6pm - their opening times differ day to day as the helpline is run by volunteers - this weekend they are not open but you could phone MacMillan and speak to a nurse - you could also e-mail the Ask the expert on here or on the Eve Appeal or of course contact your GP or practice nurse. I am not medically qualified but your result means they are keeping an eye on you to see if your body clears the HPV by itself - apparently most people clear it within 2 years so look after your immune system and if you are a smoker try to give up - 80% of people have HPV in their lifetime & most people clear it within 2 years - there is no test for men - the cervical screening now tests for HPV first before checking for cell abnormalities so lots of women like you and me are finding out they have it and having to try to understand the system! You are not alone! Hope this helps A x