Radiation - what to expect?

Hello :) 

Im post op 3 weeks radical hyst. And feeling much better today! However I am booked for my first radiation oncologist Dr appt next Friday and was wondering if anyone of you lovely brave friends can give me some insight on what to expect with this treatment. That is, can I ask your experience of any pain during and after, what is the machine like, how much time of my day it will take up, - and any experiences on the aftermath of side effects that i may look forward to?! 

I feel lucky at this stage no chemo has been recommended, - and hoping it stays that way so i can take one step at a time! But any feedback on what you have experienced good or bad will help as I don't like surprises and if I know all the facts I'll know feel better :) 

thank you xxx

Hi krissi

im very surprised that they have offered radiation and not chemo as the chemo that is given is to help the radiation do its job. There has been many studies proving that the adjuvent chemo increases the rates of cure. I read through your earlier post about them suggesting radiation as the cells were found around your whole cervix and having localized radiation treatment but where exactly are they localizing it to of your cervix has been removed. How many radiation treatments will you be having? If you do have radiation now and if the cancer does come back(hope not) then can you have more radiation? 

Most of us who have had radiation and chemo go for about 25-30 rounds and 4-6 chemos. The radiation usually causes diarrhea and tiredness But that doesn't usually happen until about the 10th session. 

If you cannot have anymore radiation treatments to your pelvis area if you do have a recurrence then I would suggest you ask to have the adjuvent Chemo as it will increase its effectiveness. 

The sessions usually last only a few minutes and will not take up much of your day. Usually takes longer to park and get to the machine then the actual boost. 

Good luck

Hi krissi452. I'm about to go for day 9 of my radiotherapy. I might be slightly different in that I am having chemo too.

The machine is a bit imposing but it's over very quickly. A scan after they have you in position and then 2 passes of the machine. The one I have rotates around me. I wasn't even sure it was on as you don't feel anything at the time. The worst bit is having to have a full bladder, you will work out your own timing as it hurts holding on too long.

I have quite a journey to the hospital so with travel mine is about 3 hours. The actual treatment is only about ten minutes but they wait for you to drink and have a full bladder, so you will be about an hour.

Get your car parking ticket validated at the reception. It's free for cancer patients here.

They do warn of diarrhea about the third week but this just started for me on day 7. Stock up on Immodium. although I'm not sure if this happens to everyone ?

Hi Lolli 

my understanding is that as there has been no spread to the lymph nodes, they are recommending radiation only as a preventative treatment in the pelvic area incase any cells had escaped? I have been told it will be 5weeks treatment (5 days per week). I am yet to see the radiation oncologist but will be sure to run past your questions (especially about if it comes back) to make sure I'm getting the best treatment so thank you for your insights xxx

Thanks Sooze, 

Holding the bladder sounds hard torture for sure, especially after a hysterectomy!!! Will be sure to stock up on Imodium too! Thank you & wishing u all the best for your remaining treatment xxxx

Hi Krissi, 

Sorry to chip in your message, I am coming to the end of week 3 of 5  and diarrhea has reared its head :-) I have a review once a week and yesterday I told them this, and they give me a prescription for immodiam - which in the phacmacy you dont pay for as its oncology. 

As said above, travelling is tiring, from start to finish I can be 5 hours, so a full day, very tiring.

In the beginning I was very sick, and I was taken to the chemotheraphy ward and they hydrated me by drip and also by drip gave me an anti sickness med, I left with patches that I change once a week, maybe its in my head now but I know that I have it on I have not felt nauscias at all

I also had a rad hysterectomy in June, so finding the right balance getting my bladder full for the time I was needed was hard, only twice I havent been full enough, but Im getting the routine now. 

Hope all goes well for you

Chrissy