Possible lymphodema

Hello all, I'm having a bit of a freak out... I was diagnosed with cervical cancer three years ago and had a radical hysterectomy and lymph node removal. Three years on, I've suddenly got pain in my lower left leg. It's been hurting for a week and a half, but it started hurting after a particularly strenuous gym session so I put it down to a muscular strain. However, I've now noticed that my ankle and calf are a little swollen. Obviously I've jumped straight to the lymphodema conclusion. Has anyone else had something similar where it didn't turn out to be lymphodema? I don't feel as if I can cope with a lymphodema diagnosis on top of everything else, and I'm due to go on a long haul flight in 2 weeks :(  I'm going to seek medical help on Monday, just thought I'd see if anyone could reassure me here first! 

Hiya,

I was diagnosed with lymphodema just over a year ago, a few months after a radical hysterectomy and lymph node removal.  My GP literally glanced at my ankle swelling and that was it diagnosed.   One year on I'm now recovering from chemo/rad treatment for cc recurrence and my lymphodema has got a little worse. 

However, do not despair - the condition is manageable. The compression tights look like any other black tights and although you need to follow the guidance given re: posssible infection etc., life goes on pretty much as normal.

It may not be lymphodema is your case anyway, but whether it is nor not, I'd recommend that you wear compression socks or stockings for the long haul flight and move about during the flight as much as possible.  (I've found Sigvaris to be the most comfortable brand of tights).

Swimming has a positive impact on my leg and generally makes me feel a lot better about the situation.

I hope that's helpful and although I really hope you don't have it, I just wanted to reassure you that it isn't as bad as your biggest fears.

Linda x