Positive HPV despite vaccine

I’ve just received results of my second smear test and it has come back positive for HPV but no cell changes. I had my first smear test about five years ago in Scotland before they increased the age to 25 and that was fine. Although I doubt they did the HPV checks then as I know this is fairly recent.

I’ve been with my partner for nearly four years now and I’m worried I’ve either had HPV dormant for all this time and I won’t be able to get rid of it or my partner has been unfaithful.

I also had the vaccine in school so I’m really upset by the result. I’m worried I’ll never get rid of the virus and I have a HPV strain not covered by the vaccine. I feel this will be a constant worry till my next test in a year. Any experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated.

As you’ve said, it was unlikely they did an HPV check last time you had a smear, so you would not have known until now that you had it. So no reason to think you caught it within the last 4 years…

It is indeed strange that you’ve got HPV if you were vaccinated though - although I have read on Jo’s Trust that the vaccine protects for at least 10 years against the most high-risk types of HPV, but not all. There isn’t one single HPV virus, and it is endemic in the adult population.

The great thing is you have no cell changes - this should mean all you need are regular check-ups to make sure you stay fine. No point in worrying until next year - better to stay positive that you are going to be regularly checked.

I’m speaking as someone who has recently completed treatment for Stage 3 cancer - I never knew until now that I ever had the HPV virus because I’m an oldie - was never vaccinated, never tested until November 2020 for the HPV virus, when it was detected along with the cancer.

Try not to worry too much!

1 Like

Hi Cscott

Sorry your HPV result has caused you so much anxiety and worry. The great advantage of HPV screening is that is enables the health service to know those who need closer monitoring which in term will mean the chances of getting cervical cancer are significantly less compared to the old system of cell based screening. With cell based screening you’d have been told your results were normal and you’d be waiting another 3 years for a smear - not worried or anxious but ignorant bliss isn’t always a good thing.

Like Jacks I’m one of the oldies on this forum and after a series of normal smears (all cell based) I decided I didn’t need to go for screening any more. I spent my 50s blissfully unaware of what was going on inside only to have the rudest of awakenings when I was 60y - see my back story. I’m sure if I’d known I was HPV positive I’d have continued to get screened and very likely have been able to avoid the trauma of the past few years - see my back story.

x

1 Like

Stage 3!!! Had you had regular smear tests leading up to this?! So sorry this happened to you and glad you are now clear!

Hi Hellouw13,

Yes, I had regular smears and did everything I should have - I first had abnormal cells 20 years ago, in my 40s, and had 2 x LLETZ and a knife cone biopsy. The colposcopy 6 months later was clear, so I was put back on regular smears. However my gynae now tells me that I have so much scar tissue that the smears were not detecting the abnormal cells! My last smear was in 2017 and was ‘clear’ and I was told no further smears would be done as I would be ‘too old’ in 5 years time. That ‘normal’ smear meant it took months to convince my GP to get me a colposcopy when I started post-menopausal ‘spotting’ and that was when they found the cancer! It had probably been growing in me all the time and I was in ignorance…

So the screening programme is not perfect, especially not for people who have had so many operations previously, but it’s a lot better than nothing. I’m grateful for the wonderful hospital who have now treated me and will need to make sure I get regular checks from now on - and not just smear tests!

X

1 Like

You are an inspiration! Wishing you lots of love for a happy and very healthy future! You sound like you see the positives in life and that’s really the best way to be xxx

2 Likes

I had the same result a few years ago and have had two colposcopies since. I was also vaccinated. First of all, my colposcopies have always been ok- only very mild abnormalities detected! The consultant I saw at the colposcopy clinic told me it is possible I have a less dangerous strain of HPV that the vaccine didn’t cover, which is a good thing- less likely to turn nasty in the future. I know how frustrating it is though, I know how successful the vaccine has been at reducing HPV amongst young women, but unfortunately I am one of the unlucky ones!

3 Likes

Hi lovely,

Just messaging to let you know that you’re not alone. I had the vaccine in school as well and unfortunately I seem to have caught a few nasty strains! I am HPV positive and have also had warts before (TMI and embarrassing for me to admit) but apparently both are from different strains of HPV. I seem to have been really unlucky contracting these and I also have cell changes. I have only ever had a few long term relationships as well! Apparently there are numerous strains of HPV and the vaccine only covers a few of them, so we aren’t 100% protected sadly. Thankfully these smear tests are detecting the virus and early cell changes. Hope you’re ok!

2 Likes

Hi, i am in EXACTLY the same position - had vaccine, first smear aged 25 and been in a relationship the last 5 years so scared it is going to be chronic. Have you had any updates? i have a colposcopy booked but not for a while, the waiting is hard isn’t it. Really hope things work out for you xxxx

1 Like

Hi, I had HPV on my smear every year from 2014. I was told repeatedly that the body will
Clear it. It was a real worry for me and I always worried about it developing. I did some research in 2020 after yet another HPV diagnosis, I just couldn’t understand why it wasn’t going away and my immune system wasn’t clearing it. I read articles about boosting the immune system. In particular mushrooms (pukka mushroom gold) and methyfolate, Vit C, B-12 and turmeric. I bought all these from Holland and barratt and took them religiously every day! Alongside a green tea capsule. I also started drinking more water and eating a better. I Am happy to say I went for a private smear in April and it was negative for HPV. I then had an NHS smear in August and that has also come back clear! I am So relieved to have finally cleared it! It may be a co incidence but I do think by boosting my immune system I have helped to clear this. I thought I would share as I know how stressful the HOV diagnosis can be, you always worry it may develop and just want it cleared.

2 Likes

Hi Leanne, hope you don’t mind me asking but just to check you had HPV from 2014 to 2020? I’m trying to find more example of people having it over 2 years as I’m on year 3 and have been stressing out about it, thank you in advance :slight_smile: glad you were able to get rid of it!

1 Like

i must have had it at least 5 years and i have several friends who have had it for even longer

Hi there, yes I had it for 6 years! It is a constant worry isn’t it. I had CIN 1 in 2014 too, I’ve had 3 colposcopies. I decided to research as much as I could last year and bought all the vitamins from a few articles I read about what helps to boost the immune system to Clear it naturally! Good Luck x

1 Like