HPV positive but vaccinated

I am age 24 and just had my first smear that has come back HPV positive with normal cells. However I was vaccinated when I was 13. Does this mean the vaccine didn't work/does anyone have any experience with this? Very scared thanks 

Hello igm

Sorry to see you are so worried. Apparently the vaccine you had when you were younger only protects you from some strains of HPV which is why your vaccinated generation still needs to attend cervical screening. Jo"s helpline and the information pages on the website will be able to explain this in more depth or you could ask your practice nurse or GP - hope this helps!

A x

I was also vaccinated the first year it came out but still have HPV and have done for a while! The nurse seemed shocked that I'd been vaccinated though. 

Hi,

I am 30 year old and I was vaccinated 13 years ago. Despite this, every year from my first smear at 24, I have been HPV positive as well as having abnormal cells, CIN1 and I have been diagnosed with VAIN2 6months ago, of which has developed in a larger surface area when I went to my review appointment yesterday.

It is nothing but worry but the best thing to do is to try and stay calm and focus, follow advice given and be grateful for our NHS.

We will get through it

Naomi

:heart: