Pet scan results show lymphs have it. Anyone else?

Hey all,
So i got my pet scan results today. Doc says its in 2 of my lymphs (still in pelvic area) and i already knew it was in my cervix.

Treatment will remain the same as planned, 5 wks radiotherapy daily, 5 wks chemo alongside it weekly & 3 wks brachytherapy at the end.

I’m back to being incredibly scared again as doc said my chances were ‘still good’.
I noted this had changed from the ‘very good’ she usually uses to reassure me. So i asked her about her wording. She explained that without the lymph involvement it was 80% and now it is 60 / 70% .

I’m trying so hard to remain positive (especially around my friends and family) but i cant help but feel that dark scary foreboding inside again. And then i feel guilty because there are people in a worse position.

Please wave your hands if you’ve had that situation and tell me to stop being stupid and buckle up because i’ll be just fine.
Love to u all xxxx

Emma, hi,

Take a look at my signature!  I had one or two, can't remember as the oncologist did not seem too worried about it at the time.... I did have 3 booster radio targeted at the node(s) though, worth asking your consultant/onco/nurse about this though.

more importantly, I am still here and doing fine.

Stay positive, stay strong and stay well.

We are here if you need us.

Big hugs,

Nx

Thank you xx

It sounds like the same plan im going to have. Will ask about the targeting of the lymphs xx

Hi. I had/have lymph node involvement.  I think just the one. When the consul gave me my staging he pointed out that this was curable. That's the word I am focusing on. Curable. 

Percentages,  I've been told, don't really mean much. Firstly, they are likely to be 5 years out of date. Treatment improves quickly. The statisticsare taken from people that had their diagnosis at least 5 years ago. 

Your treatment will be tailor made to hit exactly the right places.

Please feel confident that the Dr's all want to cure you x 

Thank you :)

I do feel very lucky to have such a lovely team working so hard to cure me. I have no doubt that's the end they have in their minds. A cure.

Yes. Curable. I do need to focus on that more. I need to stop worrying about the 'but what ifs' and focus on the, 'this treatment WILL cure me' 

Big love xxx

Hi, 

my pet scan should lymph node involvement on both the right and left side. I finished treatment a month ago. I am pretty scared about it too. But really hope my treatment worked.

Georgie :)

Hi Emma,

It is quite natural to feel scared and apprehensive when you don't know what the future might bring. I too had lymph node involvement on both sides, 5 or 7 in total, can't even remember which now. I had a R.H, followed by chemo rads, but no brachytherapy. That was Sept 2014. I do think about it still I would be lying to say I dont, but I know that worrying does nothing to help. I swear by yoga to keep me sane and to counteract the side effects of all the treatment. 

Hi Emma :-)

I don't have anything new to add to this conversation, I can only reiterate what has already been said;
Curable
Statistics are a statement of historical fact, they are not an indication of probability for your personal future
We are all scared of recurrence but this diminishes a couple of years down the line

(((((HUGS)))))

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

I am really new to all of this. You can see my stats in my signature.  My doctor is talking about me doing 5 1/2 weeks of external radiation after my sixth chemo. For those who have had this, what was your experience and side effects?  I live two hours away from my treatment center and I want to get the idea if I could drive back and forth or make other arrangements.

Hi Kim.  I was able to drive myself to and from hospital every day. Everyone has different levels of side effects. Mine was just tiredness and slight bowel issues.

Hey Kim, 

My docs have said i can drive as long as i feel well enough on the radio days, but not to drive on the chemo days, just incase of vomitting but they are going to give me antisickness meds so it shouldnt be too bad. I shouldnt think you will be able to drive on the internal radio days as you will be sedated or have an epidural type med. 

A friend of my mum's said she drove herself until about her 20th session and then she felt too tired to drive safely.

Does your hospital help with travel do you know? It can make your day a lil longer as there are others to pick up and drop off but it would be a huge help if you're struggling hun. I live an hr and a half away, but im very lucky and mum has offered to drive me on the days im not allowed or if i get too tired. xxx

Hi emma, you might be pleasantly surprised.  I was able to drive myself on chemo days although I had a back up plan if I didn't feel up to driving home. I even managed to take my son to his swimming lessons on the same evening.  

Definitely wouldn't be able to drive on brachytherapy days

That's awesome Philleepa :)

I hope i'm like you then. Xxx

A bit more positivity for you. I've had my results today and I specifically asked about my affected lymph nodes and it was back to normal x yay

That is bloody AWESOME Philleepa :) that makes me so happy, especially for you but fir me too :) xxxxxxxxxx 

Do u mind me asking? From start to finish how long has it been for you? Xxx

Consultant saw I had cancer on 24th November. Mri following week,  confirmation and staging 8th December.  Treatment started 4th Jan.  4 weeks chemoradiation.  Nearly 2 weeks off then 2 sessions of brachytherapy a week apart,  finishing 17th February  (I think).

6 week check up 31st March.  Scan 12th may. Results 19th may.

I will have another scan in 3 months. 

My health was back to normal quite quickly and I've been ready to go back to work for s long time.

Been playing rounders and although I'm not as good as I normally am,  I don't think anyone has noticed (I've not told my team ).

This is the scariest time for you but now I'm at the end (???) Of it, it's gone quite quickly. 

I have also had lymph node involvement. I did 6 rounds of carbo/taxol/avastin 3 weeks apart. I drove myself to all appointments (2.5 hours each way) throughout. My scan showed all lymph nodes as clear!

I am currently undergoing 30 external radiation and low dose cistplatin weekly. As housing was available I relocated to the community from Monday to Friday as driving 5 hours each day is unrealistic for me. It's tough to be away from home but I'm more than half way through and feeling very well!