Persistent hpv

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum but unfortunately not new to cervical issues! In 2005 I had lletz for CIN 2, then again in 2007 under GA. Since then yearly smears have all been normal, including a private one in 2014 that confirmed negative CIN AND high-risk Hpv. I had been feeling really relaxed about all things cervical since then! Then suddenly my most recent smear at the doctors in March came back ‘inadequate’ but confirmed high risk Hpv. I was shocked and had to wait 7 weeks for colposcopy. I felt in a total blur for all of that time! Anyway, my colposcopy showed no abnormalities, so I’m discharged and back on 3-yearly smears (overriding the fact I should still be on annual ones). I’m finding it all quite confusing and Google is not helping!!!
How can hpv appear after having a clear test only the year before? I’ve been with my husband for 9 years so this infection has been in my body a LONG time! (Unless he has brought a new infection in, but I do tend to trust him). How can they discharge me knowing the risk of having a persistent infection with Hpv? Can the colposcopy miss something?
Also, do any of you share my feelings of guilt and embarrassment at having hpv? It’s fair to say I had quite a liberal attitude to sex in my teens and early twenties, and now I constantly have a feeling of regret and shame! It’s got to the point where I haven’t told anyone about my most recent colposcopy, because I feel deep down people will judge me.
Also, a more scientific question, how many women like me end up with a persistent infection? And has anyone got any advice on how it can be cleared, or am I now stuck with it? Thank you all so much for reading my (long) story xxxx

Hi,

I don't really have any answers but just wanted to say I felt very similar. My nurse told me that HPV is very common and very easily passed on, you don't even need to have intercourse to get it, can be pasted on by close bodily contact. There need be no shame attached.

i asked the consultant why I still had HPV after 5 years (minimum) and she explained that while most peoole clear the infection in two years, for some people it can take much longer.

There is no treatment unfortunatel. I've read that the infection can lie dormant and is not detected by the tests at their point, but can reemerge and become active again.

Stinks really doesn't it :-/ I'm very glad that there is now the immunisation against it for young women.

Hi. My partner and i have been together 10 years this year and  all my smears have been clear up until this year. Ive just had LLETZ to remove cin 2, havnt been told if i have hpv or not, but im almost certain i must have, so that means ive had hpv lurking about for a very long time. I know neither of us have been unfaithful but yes i feel ashamed too. Even though im told its very common it still doesnt make me feel much better, and if my body hasnt cleared it after all this time am i going to be plagued with it forever ? I really understand how you feel xx

Thanks for your replies ladies! It's nice to be part of such a supportive community on here x

Hi ladies, you may well have cleared HPV in the past. They think that it is similar to a cold sore virus in the sense that it can be cleared, go dormant and then reactiviate again.  So you can have HPV then a clear smear and then have HPV again.  Also it does not mean that a partner has been unfaithful at all, it could just have reactivated in one of you.  And you have not necessarily had active HPV for a very long time.   

HPV is extremely common and 80% of the population will have it at some time or another.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Thanks Nellie that has helped.Xx