Only tested for HPV no smear, with intermittent bleeding

Hello can anyone please help?

I've had some intermittent bleeding, which is really worrying me. I've been to see my GP and they referred me to a gynecologist who had a look and I had a hysteroscopy and the sample taken all looks fine. I didn't get to see the consultant due to the lockdown but I have been discharged. However, they said make sure you get your smear test done, don't miss it. I had the smear test done but I noticed that they only tested me for HPV, and no cytology was done.

When I was in my early 30s ten years ago, I was privately tested for HPV and it was picked up - they told me at the time it was a less usual one (though I no longer have the record) so I am aware there are more than a few that can cause cervical cancer. And I did subsequently have a couple of mild dyskaryosis results picked up by my smear. 

I am concerned a) that I can't find out what HPV I've been tested for ie is it all the HPV subtypes that can cause cancer, or just the two most common and b) why I haven't had a cytology done, as not all cervical cancers are caused by HPV?

Has anyone else been in this situation? What would your advice be?

I appreciate that I'm talking about very small risk of cervical cancer - eg either not caused by HPV or caused by less common HPV. But I am having worrying symptoms, the cause of which has not been explained, which will 100% affect me and my family if I'm unlucky enough to have it, so surely it's worth crossing all the boxes?

I'd be really grateful it anyone had some advice for me. 

Thanks  

Hi I am not sure how much this will help but this is what I have found.

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2015, back then I wasn't tested for HPV where I live they just tested for abnormal cells so I don't know what caused my cancer, whether it was HPV or not. 

After diagnosis I had surgery and now get a smear yearly and the past couple they have not tested for abnormal cells, only HPV. My smear came back HPV clear so they did not even test the abnormal cells as said there is no need to if HPV negative as they believe there is practically no chance of having cervical cancer without HPV.

I disputed this due to my history, and due to the fact that I had abnormal cells in my last smear but they would not budge at all.

So what I am trying to say is nowadays I think what you have faced is the norm, I don't agree with it but with a HPV negative result they don't tend to test for abnormal cells in all areas of the country. 

Hope that helps explain it a bit x

the HPV is done as first line now so they do collect cells during smear but will only look at them if you HPV test comes back positive. they test for all cancer causing HPV subtypes.

milddyskariosis are frequent (particularly when young or when having repeat smears) and rarely lead to actual cancer.

if you do have history or family history of gynea cancers though i would incist to get your cells looked at.