NHS HPV Positive - Home Test Negative! Confused!

Hi all, after spending lots of time on the forum, and the amazing helpline, I just wanted to share this news I have just received after the most stressful few weeks of my life since receiving the HPV positive result from my NHS smear. I have been with my husband since I was 20 years old, and I’m now 51, so that’s a lot of years! To my knowledge, this has been monogamous. To receive the very blunt letter from my GP saying I was High Risk HPV positive (no abnormal cells, thankfully) sent me into a whirlwind of despair, with all sorts going on in my head, as you can imagine. Apart from the thought there had possibly been infidelity, I was also horrified that I might have had this since before I met my husband (both of us had previous relationships before we met). If this was the case, I definitely wasn’t one of the ones who were lucky enough to get rid of it in a year or two, like the letter said!! Now for the good part – I decided I needed a second opinion, especially after reading that up to 30% of positive NHS HPV results can be false positive, so I ordered an HPV test from Superdrug (apparently extremely reliable), and have just had the results. To say I am ecstatic would be an understatement – I am Negative for HPV 16, HPV 18, and ALL other High Risk HPV!!! I have sent a message back to them as my only concern now is although I want to believe this is the correct result, but I need to know for sure which test has given me the ‘true’ result? I will get back to you with their answer. Fingers crossed xxx

I’m not sure but the GP will call you for another smear next year due to their results, it’s best to follow with their results as it’s best to be on the safe side. They aren’t going to be able to do another smear just to double check so you will be called for one 12M after to check your body has cleared it

I’m not sure how really reliable the home one is I wouldn’t have a clue of how to get high up enough down there and swish it around!!!

It can lay dormant for many years so try not to let your head run away!

Thanks so much for your reply. I guess I’ll just need to wait the year and see what happens, or my other option would be a private smear soon, but not sure there is any point. It just seems like such a long time away :weary: