First smear after at positive home HPV test

I’m off for my first smear test, after I did an at home HPV test (via superdrug, very impressed) and it came back positive for HPV (not 16 or 18).

I’m much older than I should be going for my first one, but rubbish at doing things I’m meant to. Here’s hoping it goes ok, as I’m quite worried about it all to be honest.

I’d really recommend the at home tests, and really hope they roll them out. I wish I’d done one years ago, as it’s absolutely made me go for screening and I can’t be the only person in that boat! The £48 is a bit prohibitive, so fingers crossed the NHS provides them soon. Fingers crossed for today.

4 Likes

Hi just wanted to say you have taken such a positive step. I believe in taking all the tests you can as a preventative measure. Sadly i do not think the NHS does not have the funds to provide and would everyone take up the offer ofca free test anyway. I took the Superdrug home test after a positive HPV smear and found out i have HPV 16. At least i know and i will make sure i attend all tests on a regular basis. You didnt say if you had particular symptoms that prompted you to go for a test but i will you all the best going forward.

4 Likes

I think the HPV tests are great for pulling people into the system who have maybe avoided their tests, or aren’t sure about testing. They’ve had a few trials going on using them, so it’ll be interesting to see that data come through and see how they move forward with it.

No, no symptoms at all. I think I did the test out of curiosity more than anything, knowing full well I really should have a smear, but then seeing a positive test come back decided it was best to get checked. I paid privately, mainly because I could get an appointment in 2 days, NHS was about 2.5 weeks (which is still very good). Meant I couldn’t bottle it! Have to say the doctor was excellent, and I’ll get my results next week.

3 Likes

Well I’ve got my results back already, and all ok. Interestingly it’s come back as negative for HPV and no abnormal cells or problems at all. A bit of me with my day job gives it side eye with two different results BUT it’s a positive thing because I’ve been for my smear and now I’ll be sensible and carry on going.

I think I’ll also investigate the jab, because I can’t be doing with being worried about it again!

1 Like

I am so pleased for you but it is a bit weird you were positive for HPV and then negative in a short space of time. You did say that it wasnt 16 or 18 (which i believe hang around a bit longer unfortunately) so maybe that is why it came and went.

Yes do your research on the jab and if it is available go for it. I am too old!

I don’t think it came or went (that would have been in the space of less than 2 weeks), it’s much more likely to be a false positive with the at home testing kit. I’m happy enough to accept the full test results, although it’s not impossible for issues there, it’s more unlikely I think. That and they also did the cytology, which was negative for any issues. My at home test might have just been a blip, but I can always go for testing in 12 months if I’m worried about it!

Hi there, I’ve done the same thing, a Superdrug HPV test and it came back positive, sounds like the same result as you! I’ve tried to get in for a smear but they sound reluctant at the GP practice as I’m not due one for a year and have no symptoms. I’ve got a call with the GP in 3 days so will discuss what to do next, I can’t just sit on the knowledge for a year, can I? Reading your post, I wonder how reliable the home tests are?

Home tests always have an amount of false positives (and even negatives), so they do come with a inherent degree of uncertainty. User error etc. I’m going to feed this back to Superdrug just incase, though. Working in a lab - sometimes things happen but it’s not overly common.

I paid for a smear privately, but they’re quite expensive £249 (this included HPV and cytology), which put my mind at ease. I had my results in 3 working days. I totally understand this isn’t accessible for a lot of people, though. Hopefully the GP will be able to help you out and put your mind at rest.

4 Likes

Hi @BillyCat

It’s unlikely you will be able to get a smear on the nhs outside the standard cervical smear screening programming as labs will not accept them.

HPV is extremely common and for most people doesn’t cause any issues or symptoms in itself. But it seems doing these home tests causes extra worry if the result is positive.

3 Likes

Hi lovely, how long did it take for the home test results to come back? :heartpulse:

Hi @KittenCaboodle

I used to buy hpv home kit and the results was back between 3 days to a week

1 Like

That’s quite good💗