new adenocarcinoma in situ

hello,

Im new & scheduled for a cold knife biopsy & then either a simple or radical hysterectomy following results. just thought I’d introduce myself.

cheers & good thoughts/prayers to all of us on our journeys through this!

-natty

Hi Nattyhart:

Welcome! Hate that you have to be here, but this is the forum to be a part of if you have to deal with CC.

I'm an adenocarcinoma girl too and just had a simple hysterectomy.  Chose to keep ovaries even though post menopausal. My doc said they continue to provide a benefit against several other health issues even though I'm no longer ovulating. Apparently, they continue to produce hormones all our lives. My risk of ovarian cancer doesn't increase because I have CC apparently, so I decided to keep them.

My initial tumour was removed with the cone biopsy. The hysterectomy was recommended because I'm post child-bearing and there was a small chance that despite the clear margins there could be something kicking off higher in the cervix, which as it happens, there was. I also had CIN2 in situ.

Let me know if you have any questions as it looks like you're following me along the same path at the moment. Cone biopsy was OK by the way. I had mine under GA and there was a little bleeding over the next week. 

Thank you! That's what my doctor said too... it's better to keep your ovaries. I'm done having children (had a tubal ligation) but only 36 and that's why he wanted to do the cone 1st? he said if the AIS had reached my endometrial lining though- Id have to have the radical hysterectomy and be referred over to the reproductive oncologist. 

its hard not to worry... I've had pelvic pain. I actually told him before I was diagnosed that my cycles had become so heavy over the last year... from 5 days to 12-15 days. I told him I thought I may need a hysterectomy (he told me painful/heavy periods could be helped by taking ibuprofen beforehand and during) sigh. 

did you have similar pain? how long did it take to get the results from your cone biopsy?

thank you for your reply. it's nice not feeling so alone.

Hi!

I never had a moment of pain so when my abnormal smear came back I was totally shocked. I never had any problems with periods either, although I am now post menopausal - I'm a lot older than you! Looking back, I did have a very light, discharge - I often used a pantiliner - but nothing that I was ever worried about. 

I always had annual smears and was up to date. My gyno looked at my abnormal smear and went straight from that to the cone biopsy.  I don't know if that's the protocol here (I live in the US) or whether something about my smear prompted the action. I went from abnormal smear results to biopsy in 3 weeks so maybe he knew something was up, although he didn't say that to me.

During the cone biopsy he took the cone sample from the cervix, a further sample from maybe the transformation zone and did a D&C to check out the uterus. It took a week for me to get my results. One of the ladies on here will jump in and tell you how long it takes in the UK. 

Have you been given your staging? 

It is nice knowing that other people are in the same boat. That's why I like the forum.  There is so much stuff that other people know that they share and I find other people's journies really comforting.

Hi Nattty :-)

I'm an adenocarcinoma girl too. Diagnosed back in 2011 and treated 2011/2012. Now as fit as a fiddle. I just wanted to welcome you to this very special, very exclusive members-only club. We're all here to support you and cheer you along your new journey. Happy to answer any questions you care to throw at us.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli