Negative HPV so no check for abnormal cells

Hi, I got my cervical screening test back today. It say they test for HPV first then if that is positive they go on to check for abnormal cell changes. Mine was negative. I feel this is a real cut to the screening service probably to cut costs. I believe it is possible to have negative HPV and still have abnormal cells isn’t it?? I don’t feel this was a thorough check at all, especially as I have a history of severely abnormal cells and had most of my cervix removed due to this. Any thoughts? Can I request my sample is properly checked (or done again if needed)? Thanks

1 Like

Hi Alimoo4

It’s my understanding that the UK NHS cervical screeing programme is run according to a strict protocol, and I think it’s unlikely the lab would deviate from this because e.g. they won’t be resourced to accommodate patient preferences. I think the only way you could get further checks on your sample is if the protocol hasn’t been properly followed, but it would probably be down to you find out if this is the case e.g. Google search ‘cervical screening protocol’ etc.

I suspect the only way to get your cells checked would be to go private. It might be best need to wait a while because I think repeating a smear test too soon compromises the quality of the sample; best to seek medical advice abouit a suitable time interval.

However there’s no harm in asking if you wish; you never know unless you ask. But if the answer is ‘no’ I hope the above helps.

x